model railroading missionary

CSXFan

With the recent hot spell i have moved my 2' by 4' N scale layout to my screened in front porch so construction can continue since the garage became an oven. Also, my younger brother had some srugery recently and lots of folk of aall ages (mainly from my church) have been coming over to wish him well and they have to pass my little train set with scenery to get into my house. This has given me the opportunity to share my hobby with new people. I love watching kids of all ages faces light up as my first custom painted SD35 high nose rolls over a bridge into town. Maybe I'll contact the NMRA and see if they need a spokesman for the world's greatest hobby campaingn. I love being a model railroad missionary.

-Jason-

Xaniel

you have a 2' by 4'N scale? I do also have one. Do you have any pics of it? I would love to see them!!!

C

Catt

Jason,sounds like a good plan to me.I suggest you go for it even if they don't need you.

CSXFan

re.

I think i'm gonna go for the spokesman thing too. I'm a journalism major and my dream is to work for MR someday. Pics? None yet, i don't have a scanner or a digital camera. they will come though along with pics of my railfanning expeditions.

G

Gregg Mahlkov

Ambassadors, not missionaries

CSXFan, go to http://www.greatesthobby.com and by all means sign up as an Ambassador! This is the program initiated by Kalmbach and sponsored by a number of model train manufacturers to introduce new people into what we all agree is the "World's Greatest Hobby".

RI541

Like every one here I love to show off the lay-out, the little kids are great. But the only problem I have is with adults, believe it or not their the ones who like to touch every thing.:D :D :D

Vic

Good Deal CSX:) That's one of the joys of the hobby:) :) :)

BTW Guys....I've never had a kid say my layout was "cute":mad:...only adults:eek: Kids say...."Gosh that looks real":) :) :D :D ;) ...They are smarter then we think:D :D :D

K.V.Div

Way to go CSX:cool:, Young people are and will always be the future of our great hobby.
I beleve that we should all be willing to share our model railroading hobby with those who would carry on the hobby in the future and, as much as possible, help to cultivate it with those who do show an interest in it.
Today's young people are indeed (for the most part) quite intelligent and, I find that many are always open to alternitives to hanging out with the crowd at the local mall. All they need are the opertunities to do so.
Start them into the hobby when they are young, maintain a positive attitude with them and treat them with respect and we will have no shortage of newcomers into the fold:)

Terry

pcentral

CSX,
I hope you will become an ambassador for WGH. I am one myself. What you are doing with your layout is exactly what the campaign is all about. This hobby needs more young people like us ( I am 32 but still consider myself young). Good luck and congratulations on a great job. By the way have you thought about developing your pics on the picture CD's.

kf4jqd

Don't forget the BIG kids!

Don't forget the BIG kids!:p I have friends that come over to show thier children my trains. The adults are just as impressed. It's a great way to share our great hobby. Keep up the good work CSXfan!

Andy

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
CSXfan,
This year will be the fifteenth "Trainfest" with the modular group at Milwaukee, I've seen a few faces light up, and look forward to more.
Pete