Model Power FP-7s?

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
I know I didn't dream it. I re-read the ad in a recent MR while sitting in the reading room. There it was- Model Power FP-7. I want (2) of these pups to haul a Reading Push-Pull. I know they've advertised them on the website but are(were)n't really available. I even placed a "pre-order" at a web dealer over a year ago. I called Model Power a few months ago- "the models aren't available".

Has anyone here bought one? I got the Model Power phone number. I guess I'll call 'em.

The number boards in the picture looked pretty clunky but I want that FP-7 frame and body. I WANNA RUN A READING PUSH-PULL!!! Uh, sorry for the outburst. :D

I guess this is more of a gripe session- typing my wishes and frustrations aloud for all to read.

Oroka

Nov 6, 2005
Port Elgin, ON
Ummmm... I am not an expert, so here is a critique based on my other engines.

It is heavy because of its diecast shell. It is very powerful and has great traction, but it is a HUGE power hog. With my MP SD7 on the track at the same time, the SD7 can barely draw enough power to move. It is really fast too... which I guess is accurate for highspeed passenger trains.

So, eats power, but that power goes right to speed, combined with the weight, it gets amazing traction.

Final score:

Pros - 2
Cons - 1

THis the modelers version, or the train-set version? Last i heard, the only version available to the public right now is the (rather crappy) trainset version. The modelers version has been pushed back and pushed back, much the same as their Mogul & American releases.

AR

Oroka

Nov 6, 2005
Port Elgin, ON
Train set version. I didnt want it, but my Dad was itchin to get anything that moved, and the set was on sale for $65cdn. Waste of $ if you ask me, as I had 3 loco comming in the mail, and we were buying track at the shop that day. The only thing we needed in that set was a transformer, and it is crap.

Picture%20315.jpg

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
I Want...

...that FP-7!! (modelers version)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :curse:

I can see it- READING- pulling a string of cars into the terminal!!!

The sz
pokh;lzidxkjg xb

d'pty!!!! :rolleyes:

Okay- I think I'm dun now. Thank you, I feel better.

Mark :eek:ops:

3railguy

Sep 7, 2004
Kaukauna, WI
There is a thread about these on Trainboard.com

http://www.trainboard.com/ultimatebb.php/ubb/get_topic/f/9/t/005762/p/1.htm
Apparently the modelers version is not out yet and the trainset version is noisy plus has chunky detail and the nose is wrong.
They rave about Kaslo FP-7 shells that are made to fit an Atlas GP-38 chassis. One guy posted a pic of an NP he put together and it is very sharp. I never heard of Kaslo and don't know if the shells come pre painted or not.

Ebournerails

Sep 7, 2004
saw the ho version at a local hobby shop and the nscale kit not yet assembled at that same shop, currently only one store has the kaslo shops FP7 and FP9 kits but they do look very good.