Model Power Fire engines...or somebody...

Benny

Jul 11, 2003
Visit site
I got around to rebuilding a couple of fire engines...We all know them, but who knows who actually makes them! (Model Power, Tyoc, AHM...)

I will end with one of each: Pumper, tanker, Ladder/hose truck, and finally, a hook and ladder.

Fireengines.jpg

I got a lot of work done over the course of Saturday and Sunday, so now I have the four trucks lined up.

The hook and ladder is posing with a Jordan Ladder trailer, much like what it will carry in the end, though I may add a waterbunker in the bottom of the trailer. I already have an extra pair of these wheels to put at full threads under the whole thing.

Ladder.jpg

This is the pumper, which has now been revised.

Pumper.jpg

And finally, the hook and ladder tractor, which has been heavily modified at this point...I now have it in a more complete form, I hope to start painting the trucks tomorrow, the wheels tonight...detail work still has to be done.

I actually did find prototype pictures for this firetruck online, but I am not going to go towards following that set up...I have a bag of detail partes from jordan to finish this one!

HookandLadder.jpg

That's all for now!!

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Apologies up front here....

Someone (I can't remember who) did a fantastic job upgrading this type of truck to an outstanding model - it is hard to believe that it is the same vehicle "underneath", so to speak.

Unfortunately, I cannot find the thread... hence the plural apologies...

Andrew

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Clark...

That rings a bell (sorry for the bad pun ;) ), but I cannot find it either. The search will not allow "what the kit" as it deems the words too short and/or common for use as terms.

Andrew

Benny

Jul 11, 2003
Visit site
I was Able to find a page to the prototype engine one line...the most notable feature is that step in the fender, something I have only seen before on Aerhens Pumpers...At first I though this engine was a complete fooney, but a little research looking for hook and ladders turned up ths gem of a website:

http://www.familycar.com/Classics/FireEngine/

As such, it is a prototype for an old American LaFrance engine. The length and such of thie Model Power model are most certainly an adaptation to the modle manufacturer R&D memories of what should be in a fire Engine...yeah, they didn;t get it all right either, but for them I am sure is was perfect!

Now the fact that it ended up a ways away from home is a perfect example of how antiquated equipment got shipped around this country. The stuff may be old in the city, but somewhere out in the country, boys were certainly still pulling hose carts! I am almost sure of that too...though they probably all found ways to adapt thins like model ts and such, though that is a litte work intensive...

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
MasonJar said:
Apologies up front here....

Someone (I can't remember who) did a fantastic job upgrading this type of truck to an outstanding model - it is hard to believe that it is the same vehicle "underneath", so to speak.

Unfortunately, I cannot find the thread... hence the plural apologies...

Andrew

... :rolleyes: :p Softly whistling and tapping his foot, arms crossed over his chest :p :rolleyes:

Dang...should got it copywrited :p

:thumb: :thumb: Cool beans, Benny, but ya gotta show more pics of the hook-n-ladder :thumb: :thumb:

Benny

Jul 11, 2003
Visit site
I got a little more of that truck done...I need a better light, I cannot paint the spokes using the one I have right now...a magnifyer would be nice...or new glasses!

Hookandladder4.jpg

Hookandladder1.jpg

Hookandladder2.jpg

Hookandladder3.jpg

Benny

Jul 11, 2003
Visit site
I have been working more on the Tractor tonight...I got the wheels half done, I still have to touch them up, and then contemplate dong the silve rims...that would be diffucult, though I think I could do it with a toothpick or shaped wood...

Firepaintshop.jpg

FireFinger.jpg

Firewheels.jpg

Firewheels1.jpg

Firewheels2.jpg

Firetractor1.jpg

Firetractor2.jpg

There is still a lot of work to be done, including windscreen and the finer details. And the paint still has to be finished and details. I also have to get a plan together on how to finish the bed. I have some diamond plate, and that will look nice in silver. I am also thinking about the turntable...I used my last one on my REA truck!

NYC-BKO

Jun 6, 2004
Scottdale, PA
Looking good, Benny -:thumb:
It's amazing what a little work can do for these models to make them respectable pieces, can't wait to see the finished product. -:)

Benny

Jul 11, 2003
Visit site
Check it out! I have found a close Prototype for the Model Power truck...

This is almost as close as you get...except this is a ladder truck, and not a tender! But think how hard it would have been to produce a model in the 1950s if they made it a ladder truck, hence...the water tender

These two trucks are incedentlly the same lenght, the ladder truck and the model power truck! The way you can tell is by looking at the ratios of the length between the seat and the bump in the fender and the height of the running boards to the top ot the seat...! There is come compression in the Model Power truck, most likely done so they could mold the fenders onto the body as one piece, and not have them break...it looks like the fenders are supposed to swoop down about a foot or six inches more then they actually do...but hey, what's six inches, right? (SIC)(Diesel Fans, anyone? :D). This actually did make problems for the modelers, as they had ended up with a rear fender that would curve up too high...so what did they do? They leveled it off!!

97_large.gif

And now THIS picture gives me an idea!

buffst2.jpg

I could build a similar aparratus...Though I have already made the move toward duallys on the truck, I could also settle on a heavier yet similar trailer...And if I rememebr right now...Jordan does have an American LaFrance kit...

I ahve now found another truck...this one a 1927 Mack...Nearly identical to the lafrance truck...

1928truck_sm.jpg