Model Power Farm House

Drew1125

Here's a couple of houses I kitbashed from this well-known, inexpensive kit. I wanted some rustic looking houses, but didn't want to buy some expensive, craftsman kit.
Here's pretty much what the kit looks like "out of the box".

Attachments

• mvc-024f.jpg
    mvc-024f.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 211

Drew1125

OK, here's a version of the same kit.
I made a roof from styrene siding, added a new chimney, & porch floor, & glued the windows on the inside of the walls, instead of the outside. I roughed up the walls with some sandpaper, & painted, & weathered everything.

Attachments

• mvc-026f.jpg
    mvc-026f.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 218

Drew1125

Here's one more - samekit - I chopped tthe top story off, fashioning a dormer out of the scrap pieces, & once again putting the windows on the inside, making a roof, & porch floor from styrene. The chimneys are from the kit. The roofs weren't a perfect fit, & ended up kind of sagging, which I thought added some charm to it.

Attachments

• mvc-029f.jpg
    mvc-029f.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 211

BDC

Looks good Charlie!

Now all you need are a couple of old fat guys sitting on the front porch, maybe even sleeping. Maybe a dog tethered to the clothesline!:D

billk

Plus an old rusty pickup with beer cans (empty of course) in the back! Seriously, though, a clothesline with some bedraggled sheets and a privy would really fill out the scene. Excellent work, making a sow's ear out of a silk purse.

justind

looks great

The 2nd house looks a million times better than the first one. Great job...the 3rd is great too, but it defiantly needs a dog or two and a beer drinking fat guy (I'm not busy ;) ).

Sir_Prize

Hey Charlie... You've been done South haven't ya! I seen that house. It's over Arcadia way (That's an OLD Town headed towards the middle of FL.). Yup got the corrogated metal roof, too. Let's see... The Pick-up and dog... a couple old oaks with spanish moss hanging off every branch. Oh! And a lawn of mostly dead grass and weeds scattered amongst open sand/dirt areas. Yup! Just like home! :D

Looking Good!;)

Drew1125

We got an old sayin' down here that goes, "Ya know yer a redneck if yer front porch collapses, & more than six dogs are killed!" :D
Seriously though, I grew up in central KY, & I was trying to capture the look of houses I remember.
These houses were meant to go on a layout that didn't get built. (sound familiar, anyone?) I'll find a home for them eventually.

upguy

Oregon Western Lines, CEO
I've got a home for them! :rolleyes: I can email my address if you want it. :D

Too bad Model Power doesn't take a hint from kitbashers like yourself and make some decent looking buildings. Those "remodel" jobs are excellent. Almost makes me want to buy some Model Power kits...and...NO, I have enough projects already!

Drew1125

Thanks upguy!
I have no complaints with Model Power.
Granted, their kits are somewhat toy-like if built straight out of the box, but I tend to look at plastic building kits as just assorted spare parts that come together only through the use of some imagination. This keeps my structures somewhat unique, & personal. And these kits are as cheap as they come. $6 - $8 for the N scale house.

roryglasgow

That third house reminds me of a house from the neighborhood where I grew up. The people that lived there were the reason we locked our doors when we went out!

-Rory

Drew1125

You guys are giving me some ideas.... I may have to expand the Four Sisters Branh...
There used to be a neighborhood here in Louisville called The Point. It was located where Beargrass Creek flows into the Ohio River.
In Jan. 1937, the Ohio rose 52' out of her banks, & wiped this neighborhood out, along with many others. (even though this was way before my time,for anyone growing up near the river, the '37 flood is the stuff of legend)
Anyway, back to The Point - (excuse the pun :D)
Two old, dilapidated houses remained after the flood, all the way up into the early 80's. And here's the model RR clincher - they were right across the road from the L&N's Beargrass Branch, which featured a lovely rickety wooden trestle over the creek! (I may have even drunk a few beers, & caught a few fish off that trestle!)
WOW!! Thanks for reminding me of all that, guys!
There might be more to come on that one ...
I'll keep ya posted!