Model Power Buildings

Meiriongwril

Mar 1, 2006
Lafayette, Lousiana
Model Power have a large range of N Scale buildings - both kits and built-ups (for the ham fisted like me who are useless at kits...!)
From the photos on websites they do look, however, very plasticy (is that a word? - well, it is now! :D )
Is there a recommended matt varnish that might alleviate this (I know I should think of repainting and weathering, but ..........)?

Any thoughts welcome

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
I like Model Power buildings mainly because the windows are not molded into the walls and can easily be painted before assembly. I guess in N scale I have a difficult time trying to paint window frames when they're already in the wall.

As far as taking away that plastic shine, I would recommend painting and weathering them with acrylic paint. If you don't want to do that, you could, as trucklover says, spray them with dull coat. You could also use matte medium which is a clear water-based acrylic.

90% of the pleasure in building kits is to make them not look "out of the box". Model Power kits are among the easiest to do that with. Try different techniques with painting and weathering. If it doesn't look good, try another coat. If it gets too heavy, wash off the paint with alcohol and try again. That's what I do.

Biased turkey

Apr 10, 2006
Montreal, Canada Eh
In the book "N scale model railroad that grows" the author suggests 2 ways to dull the plastic sheen of a building .
1) Use Testor Dullcote
2) Use ordinary household cleanser and a toothbrush. Warning I didn't try that method. First try it on a hidden side of the building.

I assembled and painted the Model Power N scale brewery ( my only finished structure so far ) and I agree 100 % with ezdays:
"I like Model Power buildings mainly because the windows are not molded into the walls and can easily be painted before assembly. I guess in N scale I have a difficult time trying to paint window frames when they're already in the wall. "

And yes, painting a structure is fun.

umtrr-author

Dec 19, 2003
Visit site
Model Power is just the latest brand name under which these buildings are sold. Some of these kits have been around for decades, and sold under the Atlas, AHM, Pola, Faller, and other names that I can't remember right now. Pola is the actual source for many of these older kits if I recall correctly. Even the "newer" buildings like the series of two story houses (Simpson, Kennedy, Haunted) have been around for more than ten years now. This isn't meant to take anything away from them; just providing a little background.

Repainting is always a good way to go; for one thing, the buildings won't look like everyone else's. Some of these kits are promising sources of "raw material" for kitbashing as well.

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
I have one of the pre-built "Blue Coal Depot" tipples. To modernize it I replaced the room and put on new metal siding, aptly painted blue. I'll have to dig it out of storage to take and post a photo soon.

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
When I was in N scale, I had a couple of the Model Power buildings. I was snapping them up like hot cakes. Of course I was building them out of the box. Didn't like the movie theater though. It had a narrow width, and the lobby took half of that. (What...You lie on the floor and look up at the ceiling to watch a movie......That was my very first kitbash, I added another building to the back).
Then DPM started releasing building kits in N scale.The MP's started looking too toy like....
They do, even the HO one's, make great kitbashing fodder