Model Of The Week: Thompson Machine Pistol

PaperAir

Nov 20, 2008
monson ma
after buying my first bought model of a 1942 m1a1 thompson smg i looked around the web for pictures of other thompson guns and came across the one i wanted to build.auto_ta5.jpg

bezelbub

Nov 9, 2008
very nice! Even with the webcam pics you can see the attention to detail

are you making plans as you go?

PaperAir

Nov 20, 2008
monson ma
not on this one plus its not my design as far as the gun it self is concern.I,m modfing an ecard model the 1942 M1A1 Thompson smg. the 50 mag drum is being built off of blue prints i found off of the unofficial tommy gun page.It,s a great resorce for blue prints.I,m thinking of making an other drum mag with a the inners that one I,ll make plans for.

Patron_zero

May 5, 2008
Homebrew

anyone have any sugestions on a type of puddy or filler I can use for the gaps and to smooth over the seams

Mind your experiences and results may differ from mine but I've had fairly acceptable results with making my own 'filler' paste.

Try mixing dry corn starch with any water based adhesive, white glue, wood glue, etc, pretty much need to 'eyeball' the ratio of dry to wet as to get a desired consistency.

Finely shredded newsprint dissolved into warm water and laundry detergent makes a nice 'goop' too, just skim-strain out the damp mush and press out any excess water. This is an old school recipe for making insulation 'putty' for sealing gaps around drafty window frames but works (and sands) great as a Bondo-type body filler for modeling applications.

dkaniel

Jul 2, 2005
california
WOW! You have an excellent eye for detail and I love your level of skill and craftsmanship, please keep posting more pictures as you progress

Mousemuffins1

Apr 14, 2007
Cool. I did one of these earlier. Great job on the drum. I've been meaning to get around to building the older version with the drum and vertical grip, but as it's an almost completly different weapon, would require an complete redesign.

I made quite a few detail changes to mine, like changing the ejection port, reshaping the barrel and doing some serious modification to the stock.

PaperAir

Nov 20, 2008
monson ma
thank you your build is the one that inspired me to do this one.I hope mine comes out half as good as yours .Your right i,ll have to redesign most of the model.That is why I feel lucky to come across a lot of really detailed blue prints.Thank you again and I hope you enjoy the build.And thank you too dkaniel hope you enjoy this too.I try to suplly as many photos as I can.

PaperAir

Nov 20, 2008
monson ma
thklh.jpg001.jpgIt,s geting there i see i have to tweek it here and there.change the deflector a little and curve the arms on the rotor