Model Of The Month: USS Kelvin

Foxbat

This is the prototype build. Now I can start redesigning it. Overall length is 59 cm from the front end of the main circular disc to the back end of the engine, and I used regular old 80g paper for the build.

Attachments

• 080.jpg
    080.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 57
  • 081.jpg
    081.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 32
  • 084.jpg
    084.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 086.jpg
    086.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 087.jpg
    087.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 099.jpg
    099.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 34

eric_son

WOW!

That's really impressive!
I love the gentle curves on the nacelles!

Your choice of doing sections for the disc is interesting. Normally, I would have done that as concentric rings. But they turned out really really well.

Congratulations!

It's texturing time. :)

EDIT: Oh silly me.... I forgot about the scale you were working with. Had you done the disc using concentric rings, it would not have fit within an A4 sheet. :eek:ops:

Z

Zathros

That's one heck of a prototype, my kid sees that and he'll bug me till he has it! One to watch!

Z

Zathros

I'm not sure what is considered the primary hull, but if you mean the saucer section, I would have to agree. I am starting to wonder if a combination radial and petal design should be investigated. This offers an exciting alternative.

dratomgas

Beautiful! Well done! I look forward to seeing the textured model.

Very cool! Thanks for the links!

I never got used to the way the new BSG series flipped the names so that Pyramid was the ball and court game while Triad was the card game.
Probably just an honest mistake in the inception of the reboot.

Kirk: "Spacedock, you have control."

Spacedock officer: "Affirmative, Enterprise. Enjoy the ride and welcome home."

Kirk: "Enterprise confirms."

here's a Yamato, looks like a slightly big one too...

http://depapercraftblog.blogspot.com/2011/02/space-battleship-yamato-papercraft.html

looks like the newest thing he's working is the "Big Baby" gun from Hellboy.

Really incredible work.
Going to see Aliens tonight at a local theater, just might inspire me to build this myself soon...

This is awesome, Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Foxbat

Kelvin disc construction

Rather than construct the main disc using concentric circles, which would restrict the model's scale to what fits onto an A4 page, I decided to go with these radial sections. This approach gives the disc much more structure and stability than concentric circles, the smaller elements are easier to handle, there is less likelihood of warping (please insert Star Trek pun here), and printing out large models is cheap and easy, since one petal per A4 page results in a truly huge model. Even when the parts pages are printed out so that two pages of parts fit onto one sheet of paper, the finished product still measures 59 cm in length overall. The main disadvantage of the radial section/petal approach that I have discovered is that a) it is a fairly monotonous affair, and b) one needs to pay a great deal of attention to maintain proper alignment. Obviously, the more parts there are, the greater potential there is for the disc to go out of true when all of the mistakes in each individual piece are added up. Right now I am experimenting with different radial section angles to see what the ideal proportion is balancing on the one hand the desire to avoid the monotony of repetition and on the other hand the desire to achieve a flat disc. In both cases, of course, I am limited to what I can squeeze onto an A4 page.

Uyraell

I can only admire your fortitude in using 80g paper, Foxbat.

I have nowhere near the skills required to attempt such a large model as this, let alone in so light a material. I'm just starting out learning in paper models, and builds such as yours here serve to educate me greatly, for which I Thank you.

The model itself looks extremely good, and very neatly built.

Kind and Respectful Regards Foxbat, Uyraell.

SEBRET

Looking Forward to the finished product.

Are there any internal supports in the superstructures? (nacelle and bay)