Model Of The Month: USS Kelvin

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Foxbat, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Foxbat

Foxbat New Member

This is the prototype build. Now I can start redesigning it. Overall length is 59 cm from the front end of the main circular disc to the back end of the engine, and I used regular old 80g paper for the build.

Attached Files:

• 080.jpg
      File size:
      82 KB
    • 081.jpg
      File size:
      80 KB
    • 084.jpg
      File size:
      92.5 KB
    • 086.jpg
      File size:
      91.2 KB
    • 087.jpg
      File size:
      92.7 KB
    • 099.jpg
      File size:
      90.1 KB
  2. eric_son

eric_son Member

That's really impressive!
    I love the gentle curves on the nacelles!

Your choice of doing sections for the disc is interesting. Normally, I would have done that as concentric rings. But they turned out really really well.

It's texturing time. :)

EDIT: Oh silly me.... I forgot about the scale you were working with. Had you done the disc using concentric rings, it would not have fit within an A4 sheet. :oops:
  3. Zathros

Zathros Guest

That's one heck of a prototype, my kid sees that and he'll bug me till he has it! One to watch!
  4. sidewinder81777

sidewinder81777 Midnight Modeler

interesting design method on the primary hull, cant wait to see it textured!
  5. Zathros

Zathros Guest

I'm not sure what is considered the primary hull, but if you mean the saucer section, I would have to agree. I am starting to wonder if a combination radial and petal design should be investigated. This offers an exciting alternative.
  6. dratomgas

dratomgas New Member

Beautiful! Well done! I look forward to seeing the textured model.

Very cool! Thanks for the links!

I never got used to the way the new BSG series flipped the names so that Pyramid was the ball and court game while Triad was the card game.
    Probably just an honest mistake in the inception of the reboot.

Kirk: "Spacedock, you have control."

Spacedock officer: "Affirmative, Enterprise. Enjoy the ride and welcome home."

Kirk: "Enterprise confirms."

here's a Yamato, looks like a slightly big one too...

looks like the newest thing he's working is the "Big Baby" gun from Hellboy.

Really incredible work.
    Going to see Aliens tonight at a local theater, just might inspire me to build this myself soon...

This is awesome, Thanks!
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2014
  7. Foxbat

Foxbat New Member

Kelvin disc construction

Rather than construct the main disc using concentric circles, which would restrict the model's scale to what fits onto an A4 page, I decided to go with these radial sections. This approach gives the disc much more structure and stability than concentric circles, the smaller elements are easier to handle, there is less likelihood of warping (please insert Star Trek pun here), and printing out large models is cheap and easy, since one petal per A4 page results in a truly huge model. Even when the parts pages are printed out so that two pages of parts fit onto one sheet of paper, the finished product still measures 59 cm in length overall. The main disadvantage of the radial section/petal approach that I have discovered is that a) it is a fairly monotonous affair, and b) one needs to pay a great deal of attention to maintain proper alignment. Obviously, the more parts there are, the greater potential there is for the disc to go out of true when all of the mistakes in each individual piece are added up. Right now I am experimenting with different radial section angles to see what the ideal proportion is balancing on the one hand the desire to avoid the monotony of repetition and on the other hand the desire to achieve a flat disc. In both cases, of course, I am limited to what I can squeeze onto an A4 page.
  8. scifimodelfan

scifimodelfan Member

Love it very well done looking forward to seeing more. :thumb:
  9. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

Very cool! I can't wait to build this one! :thumb:
  10. MTK

MTK Active Member

Meh! Never did much care for the "New" movie, but each to his own. Nice work, can't wait to see more. Though I don't care for the movie, or the designs. I love to watch people work.
  11. Rapidtox

Rapidtox Member

Nice model!
    I can't wait for the texture, ;)
  12. Uyraell

Uyraell Newbie

I can only admire your fortitude in using 80g paper, Foxbat.

I have nowhere near the skills required to attempt such a large model as this, let alone in so light a material. I'm just starting out learning in paper models, and builds such as yours here serve to educate me greatly, for which I Thank you.

The model itself looks extremely good, and very neatly built.

Kind and Respectful Regards Foxbat, Uyraell.
  13. redwolf28386

redwolf28386 Member

Wow! I really like the way you used wedges for the main saucer!
  14. zitro25

zitro25 New Member

That's the best looking Kelvin I've seen by far. Can't wait to see it textured.
  15. SEBRET

SEBRET Member

Looking Forward to the finished product.

Are there any internal supports in the superstructures? (nacelle and bay)
  16. F131

F131 Member

Watching with much interest.
  17. MAGI

MAGI Member

To all my voice to the rest.

Great build.
  18. Danscrew

Danscrew Danscrew

Foxbat, I've you made the parts from à pdo or 3d files ?

Have a nice life
    "So say we all"
  19. Vortex_4200

Vortex_4200 Member

could it be done in letter?
    Because as of yet I cannot find any A4 paper in my area...
  20. firefollower

firefollower New Member

Good work, sir!:thumb: