Model of The Month: Mariner -9

RocketmanTan

Mar 21, 2010
New York, NY
rocketmantan.deviantart.com
So, here we go with another bi-monthly design. This time, it's the Mariner 9, just in time for its 40th anniversary!
The first parts are almost complete; just a few instruments need to be drawn up, and not to mention the test build.

Here's what I've got so far:
BskNW.png

5KXMC.png

Fin

May 30, 2009
Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Nice choice, I'd love to build this. Mariner 9 was the first spacecraft to orbit another planet. Apparently it is still in orbit around Mars and should be until 2022 or so. I've seen some CAD drawings of this ship, but I'm not aware that anyone's created a model of it. I'll be watching your progress and I'm happy you chose it.

RocketmanTan

Mar 21, 2010
New York, NY
rocketmantan.deviantart.com
model's done; gonna be uploaded to the downloads section later tonight. "Official" release is this Friday on my dA.

In the meantime, have some build pics:
MsvAu.jpg

1zmZq.jpg

7LaKO.jpg

Sorry about the build quality; tape's much faster to deal with as it allows me to get the testbuilds done within an hour or so.

Fin

May 30, 2009
Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Good work! and it looks pretty good for a taped test build. I've downloaded a Proton rocket and I'm going to attempt that before doing your Mariner.

What scale is it? 1/48?

Z

Zathros

Congratulations and well deserved! These models are not only cool, they really are an asset to those who wish to teach people about the Space Program. Your Deviant Art page is definitely worth looking at too!