Model Of The Month: Colonial Viper (my techniques)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by silveroxide, Dec 12, 2008.

1. Commander Adama

Commander Adama Member

Husker

Hey Silver see that you are still into Vipers;)

Adama
  2. KainHarrison

KainHarrison New Member

Awesome! I hope to be tackling a viper soon.
  3. l0rdg

l0rdg New Member

awesomenesss...that is a great build ..thanks for sharing!
  4. silveroxide

silveroxide Moderator

This was one of my first builds on this site. I wish that I had the information that is available now, in order to have made a more detailed model. Chances are, that I will re-do this model sometime in the future with all of the references that are available now. Enjoy the build, it is there for all of you to learn and enjoy something new.

OK. Husker, I see that you are back, hopefully I will be back in the saddle in January and start to build heavy once again. In the meantime, I will drop in now and then and enjoy what others are building out there.
  5. murphyaa

murphyaa Designer

Nice to see one of the old classics again. Nobody knows, but this was my very first model I ever designed, way back in 2003.

Oh and one thing I learned, and was pounded into my head...Do NOT use the Monogram model. It is not even close to being accurate to scale.

I had to use screenshots from the series (thankfully they liked to film from the side a lot) and lots of pictures of the actual studio model (the life sized one)

Oh and one thing about the landing gear; it was retracted when the ship was on the launcher. The rails on the bottom grip the rails on top of the launcher and guide the Viper down the launch tube.

For landing gear on the Cylon Raider...I don't think it had any. I researched everywhere, and even bought a plastic model...no landing gear. What really cinched it was an episode in the series where Starbuck and Apollo board a Basestar and you see an entire hanger full of Raiders...all without landing gear. Either they hovered in place, or rested on a special cradle.
  6. Chilihead-Do

Chilihead-Do Member

Nice work, a viper was my first papercraft-model, but it was crap.
    Printed on 80g-paper, glued with "UHU Flinke Flasche" (doesn't know the English name)
    is was a disappointing experience.

But now I think I can give it a 2nd try.
  7. silveroxide

silveroxide Moderator

Ihope that my techniques will be of some use to your next try. I built the landing gears as an afterthought. Once I did.that, it would not sit in the launch rails correctly. It can be buit as an option. Either launch configuration or land based. Either way, have fun and hope to see your works soon..:wave:
  8. Zathros

Zathros Guest

"UHU Flinke Flasche" means "UHU, Nimble Bottle", it must have applied to the application abilities of the container. Some UHU glues are really god, but it has to be the right one. I use the one that will stick glass to leather. That usually works great with paper!
  9. jase9112

jase9112 New Member

hmmm... wonder if i can get those small enough to work with the boardgame...
  10. cesandman9265e

cesandman9265e New Member

11. Cpt.Matt

Cpt.Matt New Member

What a big size wow!!! Great work!:thumb:
  12. ccyclone

ccyclone New Member

Nice walkthrough. The reference pics are great, the Internets are useful again.
  13. silveroxide

silveroxide Moderator

Thanks for the comments guys. At the moment, I am not active in the forum but I will be, around June 2012. I am glad that my old thread is still useful to many old and new devotees in the art of paper cutting and folding. At the present I do not have my arts and craft material here with me. Just bear a while longer until I return to America.:wave: