Model Of The Month: 1/4 Scale Mercury Capsule: Done 1/1 Scale

PaperAir

Hi All I,m going to attept Scott,s 1/4 scale Mercury Capsule in 1-1 scale in paper.I,ve gone back and forth with Scott on the sizing I,m getting from my printer and I,m within an inch to true scale.Thats close enough if for me.I will be starting off with the smaller parts of the model and as space opens up for me when I move this spring I,ll get to the main body.The over all size will be 6ft 10 high and 6 ft 2 wide.I started the panel and a simple 1 page is taking on a life of it,s own.Picture 140.jpg

Picture 141.jpg

Picture 142.jpg

P

Paper Kosmonaut

Incredible! Fantastic! Absurd! Amazing! Unbelievable! erm... errr... Great!
I think you can notice I am quite enthusiastic of what you are building. Like Mike said: Wow.

WeeVikes

PaperAir,

How in the WORLD will you resist the temptation to "reinforce" various parts of the model to allow yourself to have your own "procedures trainer"?

If I was building a 1:1 scale model, and I couldn't get in it... Wow, I don't think I could do that!

Mike

ovation

Good luck,this sounds like it'l take a while :thumb:
But it won't be as hard as when you do the Gemini :mrgreen:

JJ-UK

PaperAir

PaperAir,

How in the WORLD will you resist the temptation to "reinforce" various parts of the model to allow yourself to have your own "procedures trainer"?

If I was building a 1:1 scale model, and I couldn't get in it... Wow, I don't think I could do that!

Mike
I was thinking of reinforcing the model with resin like they do with halo armor.I know what you mean.

PaperAir

I had to switch over to the para scope to get the angles right on the control panels.The pictures will get better when I borrow the camera back on monday.01-15-2011 06;25;19PM.jpg

Picture 143.jpg

Picture 148.jpg

P

Paper Kosmonaut

Wow! When that has got a medium gray spray paint layer it will be very hard to see the difference with the real thing. Amazing!

Mercsim

Its just a flat aircraft gray. You could probably search the net for some paint colors. Every aircraft cockpit was painted that color in those days.

Here are a few photos. The first two are Freedom 7 (S/N 7). the middle one is from #10. The last two are from #5 (Ham's) Remember it was half full of water when they found it. They also used it later for dozens of ocean recovery tests so it was really exposed more than the others. Hence all the corrosion.... Hope it helps...

I scaled them down to ease up/downloading.

Scott

Attachments

• 106-0635_IMG.jpg
    106-0635_IMG.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 60
  • 106-0695_IMG.jpg
    106-0695_IMG.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0820.jpg
    IMG_0820.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_2543.jpg
    IMG_2543.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_2623.jpg
    IMG_2623.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 54
Excuse my ignorence...I'm not that well versed on the mercury capsule, but what exactly was the telescope used for? I know there was a window in front of the astronaut. Was there some sort of camera mounted inside, maybe for gathering film footage to be sent back to NASA?