Model Fan Hurricane MK1

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by David H, Jan 3, 2007.

1. David H

David H Member

Hi Guys,

Model Fan Hurricane Mk1. I finished it!

Not up there with the best efforts to be seen here; but I have finished one, actually finished a kit, used up all the parts (save 2 to add), fought throught the problems and made my own solutions (aside, are card modelers the most optimistic and creative of people or what?)!

Perhaps not the world's greatest kit but a subject that interested me and the price was right!

Anyway, here are some pictures of my hacking. Next one will be better.

View attachment 5821

View attachment 5822

Attached Files:

2. Clashster

Clashster Member

Looks pretty good, first time or not! Great job! Can't wait to see the next build!

3. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Oh Yeah! Very nice job!
    A very colorful plane, a nice choice!
    She looks great David!

4. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Great job David - keep 'em coming!

"Used up all the parts" . I like that one! It's always a good sign.

5. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

David, this looks very good. Was it a former to former construction for the fuselage? Any big snags with the kit? I was going to use this kit for a repaint, to build it into a sea hurricane. It's a lot easier repainting one like this then adding details from another kit. Anyways great job, we're waitin' for more!
  6. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

super hack job! wish my hacks turned out half that nice.
  7. josve

josve Active Member

Seems like a great build there David!!
    I'd like to see more pics of that bird!!
  8. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

I concur. Please show some cockpit shots and "light er' up".

I'm a big fan of the plane that won the Battle of Britian... which was built in Canada. :twisted:
  9. Jim Nunn

Jim Nunn Member

Give yourself some credit,
    1) You finished the model and that’s an accomplishment.
    2) Knowing that Model Fan kits are not in the league of a Halinski Kitl it looks pretty darn good to me.

Jim Nunn
  10. David H

David H Member

Hi all,

Thanks for the over night support. Dealing with some of your questions:

Yes this was my fist attempt a former to former construction and I thought I had matched them pretty closely... well not close enough! Lesson 1.

That said there appeared to be problems with the fuselage segments and it was darn near impossible to get those in the nose to join at all. Alternatively too long then too short. The spinner was effectively home made as the parts were too long relative to to their formers.

Cmdrtrd, the relative lack of detail might count towards the re-paint idea but the errors and problems due to miss-matching segments should make you wary.

The rear fuselage is twisted- my fault so reticent to publish any less than flattering photos. Lesson 2

I actually enjoyed building the undercarriage and am now a convert to gear down models. Lesson 3

The wing and wing to fuselage transition was easy looks OK so positive marks for that.

I was aware there were problems with this kit before I commenced and I looked upon it as a training exercise (and cheep) as such it has served its purpose! This is a twin kit with a Me 109, I do not think I will start the 109 just yet.

Given the Hurricanes rugged reputation I think this a fair representation and it will be hung from the ceiling.

The Hurricane has boosted my confidence I am looking forward to my next model, another Hawker product...

11. David H

David H Member

I am flattered by Goldenbear's request, thus some more pics.
    View attachment 5851

View attachment 5852

View attachment 5853

And more...
    View attachment 5854

View attachment 5855

These upgraded Hurricanes, more metal skinning on the wings, back armour, and 3 blade prop were streets ahead of the early aircraft used in France. Allied with RADAR and Fighter Commands "hardened" command control and communications systems they were the RAF 's real punch during the Battle of Britain.

There has been a recent revision of ideas about the BofB by historians and while the other guys made mistakes the professionalism and sophistication of the RAF and its systems is increasingly recognised.

I will send these and some other pics to the Gallery.

And finally(!) who makes the best Hurricane kit?

D 8)

Attached Files:

12. David H

David H Member

In fact it's is good/acceptable edge colouring ( I am learning), the gaps are vast. Flattering light helps too. BWT if you look the camo and pannel lines do not match up too well.

I fancy Orlick's Russian version but the uber-detail of Halinski has a great appeal.

However, revisting the Hurricane will have to wait the new project and a twin, just to see if I can do it!

13. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

yes that's a great piece. nice work.
  14. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Same here. I don't think I could ever build the same kit twice (not the whole thing, anyway ;) ) . I don't know how designers do it, building them over and over!

15. Nalla

Nalla New Member

Very nice model David.
  16. David H

David H Member

I will revist the Hawker Hurricane but not the Model Fan kit!

But in a while, I usually develop the urge Hurricanes around late August / September when Battle of Britain history shows appear on TV!

17. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Halinski kit???
  18. David H

David H Member

Attached Files:

19. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Now you're talking! Both of these are on the short list, which is actually alot longer with each passing thread. Do post many pics of either of these. I'm particularly keen on the Mosquito as they keep playing "633 squaron" on the cable channels! Good luck and thanks for the posts!
  20. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

oh for god sakes please please please do the Typhoon first. I love flying it in BF42' Forgotten Hope taking out the Kingtiger and his kin.

Also good choice on doing a Mosquitto. Canada's best WW2 product in the skies.