model building table

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by eve_9d9, Jan 13, 2008.

1. eve_9d9

eve_9d9 Member

I built this little work table today so I can work on houses, trees and such without being down in the mancave (basement). It holds glue, scissors, my micrometer, triangles, rulers,knives, pencils, and even has a little perch for the glue gun, the work surface doubles as a cutting board. Its very handy, I ought to mass produce them! In fact it worked so well I was able to christen it by building a new house today.....this one went alot faster than the last...going from a drawing on paper to finished in just a few I just need to build about 100 more.......

Attached Files:

2. Kevinkrey

Kevinkrey Member

I think I'll try to come up with something simmilar, Ive wanted to for a while, but this gave me the best ideas for starting. Im sick of trying to find everything, than lug it all around, only to have to find a place for everything.................. Great idea eve, looks very nice also, do you do much woodworking?​
  3. eve_9d9

eve_9d9 Member

Kevin I agree its a pain when you want to do a small job, but dont have the opportunity to be in the workshop, (I built this to use while babysitting lol) dont be too impressed, this thing took me maybe 20 mins to build, just hooked the air nailer, and mitre saw and went to work......I dont do alot of fine and such, but I do alot of general construction, and home improvement type stuff....
  4. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

Not bad :) :) Nice little place to work :D
  5. Kevinkrey

Kevinkrey Member

Still, very nice eve, the reason I ask is because I will be going to school for carpentry in two years.

6. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

A nice place to work, clean and neat. Check back with us in a few months though and let us see what it looks like. If it's anything like the rest of ours, your bench will be so cluttered you won't be able to find your tool holders..:p :p :p :p
  7. eightyeightfan1

eightyeightfan1 Now I'm AMP'd

I don't know about that Don. One day,Better-Half thought she'd do me a favore, and clean off my cluttered work bench(with about six inches square of work space). She organized my tools, paints, scratchbuilding supplies, and "in-process" projects I had going on.
    I couldn't find anything..........
  8. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

I just use the wifes kitchen counter tops.
  9. cedarcreekrr

cedarcreekrr Member

nice job, should keep you from cutting a good table and getting glue or paint on it.
  10. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Suggested additions:
    A power bar. Might mount on the back of the tray.
    A lamp. One of those spring loaded ones that pop into a hole.
    Only other observation is you might want to keep the pointy tools pointed down.
  11. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

Great idea, I like the design. We are in the midst of a remodeling job on the house that will include oak butcher block counter tops. I discovered that Ikea's price on solid oak butcher block counter tops is less than it costs my contractor to have them made of laminate! Anyway, I think I'm going to have about 24 inches of oak butcher block left over when the project is complete. I think I just figured out what to do with the left over oak!
  12. Kevinkrey

Kevinkrey Member

Well, Im waiting to see what others can come up with, eve-9d9 hac a great idea, Im sure we could all build one and adapt it too our own needs, my workbench is strictly for my woodworking, besides, it is always too cluttered and not enough light for modeling, so I figured why dont I give mine legs. Here is what I came up with. It has a shelf and a tray on the side, it is nowhere near as nice as eve's but mine was built all out of twisted scrap wood, and so it needs some shims to sit flat. Not pretty, but I think it will work.

Attached Files: