Model Art P-51 D MUSTANG 375 FS

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by dwgannon, Jul 2, 2005.

1. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Hey Dave.............Glad you are feeling good enough the contiune the habit! :lol:

Logging on I was thinking about this thread.........and BAM here it is. :lol:

Here are a couple of pics on my progress.......some day I need to follow instructions, instead of blundering off down my own path! :oops:

Not quite finished with the spinner but........ I had to mount it to see how well I did with the prop line up.

Your's still looks better! :D AND the canopy looks fantastic........I COULD NOT see the cut lines :shock: , I thought you got one of those after-market jobs and converted it to this model.
  2. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

Yours is looking good. I hope that I can get the props to turn out as well as yours. But when I do get it finished I will take more close ups so you can see al the mistakes I made. Trust me they are there. As for me following the instructions, I more or less follow the illustrations. If some thing does not look right then I am off for a Google search to look at the real thing. Just to make sure I am making the right assumption. On the Canopy I probably will buy a vacuum formed one when I do it again. Just to make it look good.
  3. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Hey were posting while I was typing.........Like Dave I too think you will be happy with this model.

One thing........and this maybe why yours took a little longer to get to you..........we found that there was a VERY small problem with the wheel well fit. Maybe the good Doctor was repairing this. (I'm kinda betting that this is what was going on)

But if not look at the bottom of a wing.........the far end of the wheel well cut-out should go to just past the middle of the white stripe. Or by my calculations from the butt joint on the bottom of the wing to the far end of the well it should be 2 3/16 inches. Again this is done on my built model not a flat piece of paper. Mine goes out to 2 1/4 inches and is a little long.

Hope this is not too confusing.

4. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

Well it's been a busy day today and I must quit. Arm is getting sore. But here are some of the last pictures for today. I have the Airscoop completed and have it attached. All I have left now is the Propellers, landing gear and the Drop Tanks.
  5. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member it's looking great! I can't wait till it's finished.

Just finished the gear on mine......... they turned out pretty good, if I say so myself.

As usual I didn't go by the instructions and I still have the belly scoop, wing roots and guns to go. I'll post a pic when finished.

6. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

Good job on the canopy. Goes to show you can still get by without vacuforming (no disrespect to Ted's efforts to spread the technique).

7. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

Thank you for the comments. Comming from you means a lot. This build has been taxing but fun. I am going to try a little more today and get the Propeleres on. I have also sent a note to to see if those that purchased the model will get a corrected sheet on the model so we can do the wheel wells with out having to patch it. I hope I do not upset any one for asking this.
  8. dimas Karabas

dimas Karabas Member

Way to go! I do not think anyone should be upset, you paid for it, you want the right fit.

I am surprised you even have to ask for the corrected part. Dr. Zarkov has yet to learn the North American customer care standards. Simply apology is not enough, send the corrected part first, then apologize.
  9. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

After more thinking about it. I did pay for the model. So your right we should get a corrected copy. Will see what happens.

Thanks Dimas.
  10. jijo

jijo New Member

No chance to sypply the p51d sheets with the corrected parts in the weekend. Immediatly afrer the problem was found, I sent a message to this forum with proposal how to fix it in the easiest way.
    Emil Zarkov
  11. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

Well it's been another busy weekend and I am sure I will be screaming at my self tomorrow for working on this thing so hard. :x But hay what better way to pass the time while recovering. We now have propeller blades, and they move too. You will just have to take my word on that one. All we have left is the Landing Gear. Dr. Z, I understand not getting out a corrected sheet this weekend. I will apply your fix and move on. :)

Note: When you create the cylinder for the propeller to slide in the nose. Dry Fit that puppy several times before you put on the propeller. I did not and let me tell you it's a tight fit. :x Thought I was going to crush the fuselage. But she is in there.

Now for more pictures.
  12. OldSalt

OldSalt Member

Dr. Zarkov posted the following in another thread related to the P-51D.

Hope this helps. I haven't started building mine so am not sure how the rectangles fix the problem...
  13. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

Oldsalt I did see that. Thanks.

I am adding one more picture. Here is the not finished P-51D next to my finished P-40N. They do look good together.

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy Dave,

The P-51 looks awesome, almost like it could fly. The P-40 looks equaly as nice, I even think they look better than plastic kit models. I bet you will love being able to say to friends "Yeah I built that......and its all paper too"
    Anyway, They both look great, Good Job, I cant wait to see the completely finished P-51.

have a good day,

Greg aka GW
  15. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Hey Dave...........again looks great.

Here's some more of mine..........also I didn't do the cycliner thing on the prop.......I just used a toothpick and small hole.

Still got the guns to go and few small stuff........but I'm overall impressed with the final work.

Maybe next time I'll try your clear canopy thing or try the vacuum form way.

16. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

Thanks for the tip, I will try that next time. My wife thinks I am insane because I like to have the propellers move. But yours is looking good. I am glad you posted that now I have a good idea of what the lading gear should look like. Good job!!!! ;)
  17. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

Very beautiful models, Dave, both of them (the P-40 and the P-51). They do look good together. Makes my fingers itch to actually start cutting some paper. Haven't done that in a while, sad to say.

18. RyanShort1

RyanShort1 Member

Could one of you guys that've finished the P-51 give me a couple of shots of the canopy area from several different views? Also, could I get a good view of the intake construction?

19. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Sure Ryan...........let me get finished first.......almost there. But you may want Dave's with his clear canopy. I just did the paper one so I would not have to attempt the cockpit. :oops: Maybe next time.

Dave........I just noticed that we are missing a white strip on the left wing.........maybe we should report that also. :?

20. dimas Karabas

dimas Karabas Member

That is right, there is no white strip. I want my money back!!!!!