MM 1-2/2004 Cutty Sark

Gregory Shoda

Apr 17, 2004
Honolulu, HI
Cutty Shark model

Well done! In only 3 weeks. It looks great! It appears you may be ready for more challenging models (I'll allow you to forge ahead as I'll never be ready, myself). Did you say you reinforce the masts and spars? I think sailing ships made out of paper must be very delicate and may require extra care. Congratulations on your build! As stated by someone else, please post more photos.

milhistory

Jun 27, 2004
Staunton, VA USA
Gregory Shoda said:
Did you say you reinforce the masts and spars? I think sailing ships made out of paper must be very delicate and may require extra care.

I placed wire in two of the masts because the tight thread used for rigging pulled them forward. None of the spars are reinforced. The upper parts of the masts are pretty fragile. I have no idea how I am going to travel with it. I need to take it to school in the fall for a display. I am starting a paper model/craft club this coming year.

mOONwOKA

Apr 27, 2005
Lithuania
moonwoka.netfirms.com
Very beautiful build indeed. Your work made me to rethink my wishlist and move this particular model closer to it's top ;)

I also agree with Your point of view regarding sanding and painting hull. I don't see a point in making a cardmodel and then hiding it beneath cover of paint.

Your Cutty Sark looks great. The closeup shots you posted show a high level of card model building skill. Please post more pictures if you can.

For what it's worth, I also prefer to use card and paper for my card and paper models. If I could build a decent transparent canopy out of paper, and strong landing gear without wire, I would. When I feel like using filler, sandpaper, and paint, I switch to plastic. My apologies for using the most evil and despised 'p' word in present company.

-Doug

GT5500

Apr 23, 2006
Kent, England
milhistory said:
I admit that I know next to nothing about the ship, so thank you for the new info.

The sails are paper and included in the kit. The Victory only provides templates for fabric sails...Grrr.

I was unaware of that fact as well, what i can tell you about the real ship is that your model is just as beautiful and if your ever in town you should pay it a visit. Luckily for me I can get to it in about an hour, and the Victory and the Mary Rose are about 3 hours but both well worth a visit even if the Mary Rose is just a pile of rotting timbers!!. Well done on a great model of one of my favourite ships, now get started on the Victory, my other favourite ship!!

S

sdk2knbk

Drywall filler

Bluenoser said:
I am reading that some use filler on their paper models. What type of filler would you use on a paper model.....drywall filler?

Yes. I've forgotten the exact name of the stuff I used, but I tried it couple of times and it worked well. It was a lightweight, fast drying filler, which means that it's a very "dry" material. I even used it to sculpt a 1999 Eagle "beak". I'll let you know what the brand name is, if I still have any. I would expect "normal" drywall compound to be too "wet", but I've never tried it. Anyone else out there used it?

Scott K.

Kevin G

Nov 27, 2003
Muskegon, Michigan
Awesome build! I am really glad you decided to post more shots of this model, it really is worth it.
Not to hijack your thread but I can't seem to find this model or the victory that you speak of available anywhere. Can anyone point me towards someplace that I could get a copy of both please?
Thanks for any help.
Hope I didn't hijack your thread.
Thanks again for posting this great build!

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
Truly an excellent job, Brad!

You made good use of the paper railings, and the translucent sails provide an excellent effect on this model. I'm glad you decided to complete this ship model.:grin:

Of course, any additional photos would be much appreciated, as always!:wink:

Thanks for sharing photos of your beautiful model!

Cheers!
Jim

P.S. Kevin, as you probably already know, in addition to this Cutty Sark, MM made an HMS Victory (I think they issued it at least twice now), as did Shipyard (a real big one!) and Kenilworth Press (not sure of the actual scale or size of that one). I checked out my favorite purveyors of model kits and was surprised to find not many had them listed or in stock. I did find a few places, but I admit I did not do an exhaustive search of the sites out there so you might what to check some more and see if you can find others. You might also write to the webstores and see if they have any leads on any of the kits you are looking for.

http://www.marcle.co.uk/cataloguehome.html
http://www.papermodelstore.com/index.php?cPath=22_31_60
http://www.papermodelstore.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=victory&x=8&y=9

Kevin G

Nov 27, 2003
Muskegon, Michigan
Thanks Jim,

After looking at the start of this thread I realized that this is in fact the MM Cutty Sark. Guess thats why I couldn't find it :cry: . I will place my order promptly now!
Still can not locate the Victory but Will keep an eye out for it.

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
Brad, and in no way taking away from your superbly built model of the Cutty Sark, I couldn't help but notice the dearth of rigging lines. I did note your comment that you decided to leave them out but hope you might reconsider that in any future build.

You did such an excellent job of the hull build, and of course it's your model, but I would really urge you to try and add the rigging on your next build. Many of the kits, as I recall, provide a fairly good fairly good set of rigging plans for their kits, and I believe MM is no exception. While it might not be the exact, actual rigging used on the real thing, let's face it, at smaller scales it's almost impossible to do that, so some shortcuts are taken which give you a pretty good end result nonetheless.

I admit this is one aspect of sailing ship modeling that is challenging, but I don't think, once you try it, you will find it as difficult as I believe many first feel. I had started my USS Constitution a while back (it's been languishing for many months as life charges through, but I hope to get back to her soon), and one thing I tried to keep in mind as I worked on the hull is how the rigging would eventually be laid out...time will tell if I succeeded in this respect, but I think it's good to try and plan things out, particularly in the rigging.

I'm not sure it's much different from many other aspect of model projects in this regard, but with the rigging it does help if, before you start to build the hull, particularly adding the details to the deck and/or finishing up the hull in general, to visualize how the rigging lines will be added to the ship later on. In this way you can make any adjustments or add such things as eyebolts to the deck, or holes/blocks, which would be difficult if not impossible to add later on in the build.

As with any model project, as I'm sure you found in this beautiful build of Cutty Sark, if you break it down into mini projects, and try to figure out how the rigging will be added later before moving on, I think anyone can do an excellent job of rigging a sailing ship. Part of the fun in building sailing ships, I personally feel, is learning a bit about how the rigging works and how the rigging is set up.

So, if I might be so bold, I do urge you to consider trying the rigging on your next project, even if only the standing rigging, such as the shrouds, stays, etc., and I think if you take it step by step, and add more of the rigging with each succeeding ship build, you will shortly find it's not as bad as it first seemed. And there are many in this forum who would be very happy to give you some suggestions/tips as your go along.

Actually, when I get back to Constitution and start on the rigging I will be attempting to explain how (and often why) I do what I do in the masting and rigging parts...not that I'm any expert, of course, but I have built a few sailing ship models before and learned a few things about the rigging.

Anyway, just a comment and suggestion, if you will permit me.

Looking forward to more photos when you can!

Cheers!
Jim

SCEtoAux

Jul 28, 2004
USA
I agree with what JK has written. Your build looks really, really good and I applaud your skill in executing it. More rigging would add an even better depth to it. :)

I am one of those who think the rigging of large sailing ships is beautiful. I get somewhat disappointed when viewing paintings of sailing ships with the rigging as just a few brush strokes seemingly added as an afterthought. Most artists seem to go for the full bellowing sail look, which is nice and in some instances quite striking, but the lack of rigging detail disapoints a little. (Yes, bellowing instead of billowing since the sails seem to often be screaming "Look at me!")

I have not as yet made any paper models of sailing ships, so I do not know the difficulty in rigging one. I have built quite a few plastic and wood sailing ships over the years and many times have left off the billowing sails and opted to emphasize the rigging lines as shown in the rigging diagrams supplied with the kit. Purty.:grin: