mixing track / buying used track

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by kfh227, Feb 8, 2008.

1. kfh227

kfh227 Member

After seeing some gargraves track, I'm having second thoughts of using that cost cutting method.

So, when it comes to LGB and Aristocraft track, can I mix the two? Or should I pick a brand and stick to it?

Also, what should I expect to pay for used track on EBay? I'm seeing numbers of around $3/foot which is about half price, but the shipping charges are usually large.

Should I expect to pay less for one brand over the other.

If the cost of used track is to high, I'll probably go the gargraves route.
  2. MCL_RDG

MCL_RDG Member

Nobody gets a break-

Union rules. Someone's gotta pay. Like the man say's, "If you have a buck sir, we can give you 4 inches of pleasure, step right this way- sorry Madam, you'll have to park that umbrella in the stand, we don't want anything to pop up unexpectedly"!

3. kfh227

kfh227 Member

I am only confused now
  4. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

Shipping track is expensive. I shipped some Lionel O27 track this week and it cost nearly as much as the track is worth, due to the weight. I really wanted what I was getting in trade so it was worth it to me. But the moral is, if you buy online, make sure the quality looks good, but also make sure the quantity is significant. The second and third pounds cost a lot less than the first, when it comes to shipping. Shipping costs have really changed in the past year, so things that used to ship cheaply don't always, anymore.

Generally, good condition used track, at least in O and S, runs about half price, so I would expect the same for G. I've always preferred to buy used track at train shows if I can, because then I avoid shipping.

Sorry I can't help you on compatibility. If I were choosing one right now I would personally lean toward Aristocraft, just because the ongoing situation with LGB is a bit unclear due to the Maerklin takeover and Maerklin making changes to the distribution and such. It could all turn out to be nothing, but it would be a shame to be stuck with an incomplete project and have difficulty locating the track you need, which unfortunately happened to some O gaugers when K-Line went belly up a couple of years ago.
  5. cnw1995

cnw1995 Member

I admit it, I'm cheap. So I always use everything I have - 027, 031, pre-war, all sorts of stuff. I've been v. fortunate that a generous forumite sent me his old track. It's fun to make it all fit together. If the G scale stuff can actually connect, why not mix and match?
  6. kpolak

kpolak Member

Try local train shows...you can get great deals on used track, and no shipping. Plus you can put the different brands together, and compare.