Mixing card with other material

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by Arjun, Dec 16, 2006.

1. Arjun

Arjun Member

If you made a model mixing card with other material (in tiny quantity), is it eligible to be posted here? For instance, I have some airliners and other giant aircraft in mind, which may require an inner frame of cardboard. Moreover, models with wheels may need some cardpaper or even thin broomsticks of wood to hold the wheels, and we have discussed the plastic sheet problem. Have any of you used non-paper material in your models?
  2. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Post em! We ain't too choose, the goal is to make a good model!

We all know paper can't model everything............. but it sure can do a lot!

Especially in the hands of some of these guys here!

3. Willja67

Willja67 Member

If you disallowed anything but paper you'd have to remove 95% or more of the models (100% of mine) on this forum. Just about every one has wire or string or something that removes it from the purist arena.

Basically the rule is if it's related to paper even in some obscure and convoluted way you can post it.
  4. paper warrior

paper warrior Member

Cardpaper, cardboard, and wood are all the same thing, post your brains out.
  5. Gil

Gil Active Member

Don't be constrained to itemize your bill of materials to purely paper although doing something that hasn't been done with it before is always interesting.

If you think it's a little off the main subject, made out of styrene for instance, then post it in the Extended Mediums for Cardmodeling section.

Instances using wood for structural purposes is to be encouraged as wood is a "pre-paper" material. Clear acetate canopies made of acetate are another "pre-paper", or more appropriately "post paper" material, as the raw material Rayon is a product derived from wood cellulose. Cotton thread is as near "pure paper" as one can find in the raw state as it's nearly pure cellulose. Medium Density Fiberboard (MDF) is a kind of paper that doesn't fold all that well but is made from wood fibers. The list goes on but the idea lingers...,

If you really want to be a purist I suggest that you investigate paper casting which hasn't been fooled with on this site for quite some time now...,

So if anyone asks you what it's made of just tell them "Did I tell you it's made from paper"?....,

6. paper warrior

paper warrior Member

Paper casting, how do you do that? Is it like making a mold and filling it with paper pulp?
  7. Gil

Gil Active Member

Something like that though it's a bit more complicated than just filling a mold.

8. paper warrior

paper warrior Member

Please PM me more info on it, I would like to re-create a few italeri models in paper.
  9. Gil

Gil Active Member

Sorry but the story ended three site incarnations and two disk crashes ago...,

10. paper warrior

paper warrior Member

Oh, to google and beyond then !