Mixing brands of track

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by fundamentalman, Nov 17, 2006.

1. fundamentalman

fundamentalman New Member

I am getting my layout together and getting ready to buy more track. I get the idea that Atlas is a good brand of track but will it mix with the Bachmann (pre-EZ track) ok? Will most mix ok? Are there certain brands/types that just don't mix? What about EZ track?
  2. KCS

KCS Member

I don't recomend EZ or Power-Loc track in any scale. It's garbage and if it were me just get rid of it now and save your self a lot of migrains! Atlas would be one of if not the best way to go.
  3. Thoroughbreed

Thoroughbreed Member

Your current track that you use is of the type that you would recieve in a train set? Is it pre-easy track? Without the built in roadbed?
    If you answered yes to the above, then you are on your way to beautiful Tahitti!!!:thumb:
    But seriously, if you said yes, then you can mix the track brands. I would suggest to try not to mix the metal types though, as this can lead to problems down the road. Try to stay with all brass or nickel silver.
  4. TruckLover

TruckLover Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer

As KCS said, don't use the Bachman stuff, it's junk. I would recomend just buying new Atlas track, you would be better off and things will be a lot easyer for you in the long run.
  5. umtrr-author

umtrr-author Member

I would take the opportunity to replace all of the Bachmann track with Atlas as soon as possible. The Bachmann train set track is simply not as good. Unless you're on a very, very constrained budget, it should be a pretty affordable cost that will result in better operation down the road.

I have used train set track before and I've regretted it. In the days before EZ-Track and other similar items, my first piece of advice to people who buy "entry level" train sets is to throw out the track and replace it with Atlas.
  6. engineshop

engineshop Member

Even if you are on a budget, don't do Bachmann. It will cost you more in the long run since you have to replace them before you have finished your layout. Good quality tracks are more important than good quality engines. You can still run a crapy locomotive over good tracks but even a high end engine will have problems over craypy Bachmann tracks.
  7. fundamentalman

fundamentalman New Member

Maybe it is cheesy, but I like the bachmann automatic lowering gates. They use that ez track and I wanted to incorporate it for some action. Is it possible to buy all atlas track and then slip this thing in for action? Or is there another brand of automatic lowering gates that is good?
  8. KCS

KCS Member

Well, there is some but better be ready to suck up to your signifacant other because you'll clean out your wallet by the time you finish paying for them. They are brass and extreamly nice but expensive. Now if your really good at modeling, you can make your own plus either one of these way's shoudn't look anything near like a toy like the Bachmann gates do. The brass one's last time I saw were about $100 a pop. But then you still need light sensing diodes to place in between the ties in the track to detect when a rain is coming so they automatically lower by motor and discrete wire rod that makes them work and the LED's start flashing.

Another down fall to mixing track like that is if you have that cheap stuff that already has the plastic road bed molded on aand you try to hook Atlas flex/other to it then you would have to build up the road bed under that track to get it level and without any kinks in the rail. Trust us. We wouldn't steer ya wrong. I have some Power-Loc track from a Life-Like train set someone in my family got me a couple years ago because they didn't know there was higher quality trains and track but now I only use the strait track for taking pictures on outside from time to time. The rail in starting to break loose from the road bed etc. I've tried to repair it but it just can't be done because it'll come right back up.

It also happens to be steel rail rather than nickle silver and is seriously prone to rust. You'll be spending more time trying to keep it clean than you will running.