Mitsubishi A5M "Claude"

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by cmdrted, Jan 20, 2007.

1. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Then gently nudge in the other half and forming the football! It was simplicity after seeing the light. I even scoured my collection of fixed gear aircraft and thought of converting the GeeBee racers pants to Japanese style, to fit this bird. But here it is with a dry fitted wheel in place and a pic of the parts...

Attached Files:

2. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Finished left gear...

Attached Files:

3. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

And the aircraft progress to date, wings installed and faired in, prop spinner thingy in place ready to recieve the upcoming props...

Attached Files:

4. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Top view of the same, some partial pics of impliments of mass construction, and the landing gear. Down to the smaller parts, have to finish the prop assembly, the complete main landing gear and tail wheel, tail hook, gunsight antennae, and a few other detail parts. The kit goes together very well if you follow some very detailed text instructions and follow the diagrams!

Attached Files:

5. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

whay to work so hard about this airplan just for crash it on KAMIKAZA flight :)

nice work my friend realy clen and i enjoy to look that topic :)
  6. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Looks great! When you have time, can I get an extreme closeup of the aileron assembly? I forget my aircraft terminology..... the things that go up and down on the main wings ;)
  7. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Man, just looking at those wheel pants gives me the heebie-jeebies! These flower petal type assemblies are the worst kind of hard, IMHO. Great job!

8. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Japanese Navy Air Force RULEZ!!!!! :grin:

Beautiful craftsmanship cmdrted!
  9. Gil

Gil Active Member

I enjoyed the wheel pant episode..., I guess you earned your quiche for the day! I also bought one of the Japanese twist punches, a marvel of ingenuity by the masters of paper no less. Thanks for the tip. The Claude design seems to be sophisticated in a modest sense and is forming up to be a very tempting model.
    Das smeckt nach mehr! (German for that tastes like more!).

10. Sumato

Sumato Member

To Cgutzmer, there actually is no aileron structure. The detail is simply printed on. And to you guys who have trouble with the 'petal' method of building wheel pants, here is a method I use:

1-cut out both halves, and align them so they match as best you can. DO NOT bend the shapes.

2-Cut a large piece (or pieces) of clear, removable artist's tape and cover one side of the wheel pant. Trim it so about a quarter inch of tape surrounds the entire piece.

3-trim the tape out of the areas between the petals.

4-Now align the two halves again, and now take the little petals of tape sticking out of the side with the tape, and fold them over to the other side, taping each petal to its cooresponding petal on the other side.
    When you are done with this step, the pant should still be flat, with no bends. Just one side taped to the other.

5-Now take a pencil (or whatever else you like) and stick it into the bottom of the pant, and begin to 'expand' the wheel pant into shape from the inside. Keep shaping it until you are satisfied.

6-Now, take a little glue, and smear it to the inside of the expanded pant. Make sure you cover the inner seams, especially.

7-Once the glue is dry, remove the tape, and you should be left with a perfectly made wheel pant, that is basically butt-glued from the inside.

This is the method I used to build the pants on my A5M beta, the one you see on my site. Both pants took about 15 mns to construct using this method, and most of it was letting the glue dry.
  11. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Now you tell me! Guess I could've asked, but I gave up one Man point looking at the directions! I have to pound a brewski and run a lap around the house as penance!
  12. Sumato

Sumato Member

Pound a brewski? Excellent idea! It'll be the Paper Model Drinking Game!

Every time you learn something new on this site- you take a drink.
    Boy, I'd be wasted in about 20 mns. You can't threaten ME with a good time!
  13. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

14. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Something to land on.

I finished up the main gear and tail gear. The main legs went on and faired with no problems.

Attached Files:

15. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Next came the arresting hook and rear wheel. kind of a neat little group that fit perfectly.

Attached Files:

16. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Maybe a better pic?

Attached Files:

17. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Keeping the wind outta my eyes...

For the first time in awhile the canopy didn't have to be vacuformed. I cut out the windscreen, and instead of using the template, folding it and haveing to stuff the framework around it I cut out the clear parts individually and place them in a pane at a time...

Attached Files:

18. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

The hole in the glass is for the telescopeing sight, here installed,,, fit was a breeze!

Attached Files:

19. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Spinnin' Wheel...

The prop and hib assembly was fairly straight forward. The hub was a few cyclindrical parts, the blades were a a bit fidgetty to build. By this I mean the base of the bladed portion contains the tube thingy that I think controls the pitch of the prop blades. This isn't hard to build, but it has a built in Curve at the base that allows it to fit flush on the hub. If your card is alittle thick, when you wrap around the blade, it sometimes doesn't line up perfectly. This is a matter of card thickness and how tight you can make the sucker without crushing the blades. I modified it to be a bit simpler. I cut off the pitch control part from the blades. Built the blades up as separate. Then rolled the pitch control part on the colored area, which controls the shape and size of the part. I poked a holes in the hub where the blades will fit, then inserted a piece of wire into each blade postion. Then glued the pitch hubs onto the wires...

Attached Files:

20. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Then glued the blades onto the wire bits and set the pitch for each...