Mitsubishi A5M 1/32 now available

Sumato

Sep 2, 2005
Thanks so much for your kind feedback. I actually have been developing a valiant. I am passionate about that plane, but I am still trying to solve the geometry so all of the parts will fit on the pages. Just know, I am working on it!

Hueydriver

Dec 20, 2005
Dartmouth NS
Hmmmm....maybe a Northrop BT-1 or Douglas TBD? Brewster F2A? Just printed the A5M and the colors on my ole' Epson on 67# card still pop. USN or other late 30s aircraft are always good card subjects!

Sumato

Sep 2, 2005
I agree. I know some of those are already available elsewhere, though. I am trying to focus on stuff either unavailable or unreleased. Not that a number of those couldn't use an update, though. Ahhh, don't tempt me!

Aug 26, 2006
Sumato said:
I agree. I know some of those are already available elsewhere, though. I am trying to focus on stuff either unavailable or unreleased. Not that a number of those couldn't use an update, though. Ahhh, don't tempt me!

Think about famous planes without guns. Maybe it's because so many card kits come from Europe but it seems that the only North American aircraft ever modeled are the fighters. For instance, no PT-19, Texan, and none of the early fighters are available in pre-war colors (eg - Wildcats in yellow wing/bright-color tails). On another line of thought, has anyone done detailed 1:32 Panther, Cougar, vintage jets?

Cheers --- Larry

Sumato

Sep 2, 2005
Well I know Geli has produced a cougar and a panther. I've built both, but I wouldn't reccomend them to anyone serious about the topic. For heaven's sake, they're printed in silverized paper. It may be pretty, but only certain parts on the real examples were left bare, except for test aircraft. I think these days, the majority of non-fighter american aircraft modeled (in any medium) are those that served under other flags. Things like Japan's P2V Neptunes and the Dutch's Grumman S2F Trackers. Maybe with some work, me and other designers can start to change that.

Aug 26, 2006
Rob Bennett's Panther and Cougar look nice as well but they're not highly detailed, 1/32 scale models. Companies like Halinski and GPM seem very narrow in their scope, leaving lots of those 'unavailable' subjects you've mentioned wanting to do :)

Cheers --- Larry

Sumato

Sep 2, 2005
Yeah, I do have a 1/32 scale valiant in (slow) development. It will be in both versions, camo & anti-flash white. It will be a while, though. I've got a number of other projects that need completion first. I am still trying to solve the geometry so that it won't have like 200 pages of parts. I've been collecting resources on the HP victor for years. I'd love to do one. I love topics with highly complex geometry. It will be a while, though. One problem is that larger topics (especially those of rare aircraft) don't always sell as well as smaller ones. Its a matter of time invested versus return on that investment. I think the two main reasons for that are, 1:Larger kits are more expensive, and 2: people don't buy them until they have space to put such a monster. Other than that you have to sell to the 'Collect-oholics' (like me) who often buy but don't build large models.

David H

Nov 2, 2005
I live in North Yorkshire
Well I live not too far from the home of ground running Victor at the Yorkshire Air Museum- saw and felt this Summer, Woo! If you need pictures. I was looking at buying Mr Bentley's fantastic drawings as well- but you will have those?

As to price I feel it. The Wilhelshaven Victor (Mk1 no fancy fairings) is £30.00. I might hint for Xmas but even in a month with a big bonus it is way to steep for me! Or is it.... payday is here.

D

Sumato

Sep 2, 2005
Yeah, price wise, card modelers expect a lot more for the dollar than do plastic modelers. My banshee is only $7, in 1/32 scale. A similiar kit in plasic by trumpeter would likely start at $80. I feel that paper is not only the superior medium, but it's also the only real practical one for those building large static models at a decent price. It tempts me to often back away from large projects because only the very ambitious or those fanatical about the topic are willing to pay a few extra dollars for them.

David H

Nov 2, 2005
I live in North Yorkshire
I think £12-£15 say $30 is my limit. I am too clumsy and seem to have so little time I can't invest much more on a model.

None the less if I factor in the time/enjoyment factor $30 is pretty good, say one model a month and bingo thats what I pay for broadband internet.

The offer stands, if you need any pictures of a late model Victor I am sure I can help- I know the curator of the museum!

D

Sumato

Sep 2, 2005
Oh, I know I'll be using you're help when I get to it. Many thanks for the offer. There's nothing better than access to an original example for reference.

OldSalt

Jun 23, 2005
Newport News, VA
Let me see if I can sum up...you will absolutely, positively, almost certainly, maybe, maybe not have the following 1:32 beauties for us in the next few days:

Vickers Valiant
Handley-Page Victor (bomber and tanker)
Grumman F9F Panther and Cougar (USN, USMC and Argentine)
Grumman XF10F Jaguar (I snuck that in)
Grumman F11F Tiger
McDonnell F3H Demon
Douglas F3D Skynight
N. American AJ Savage or A2J Super Savage (snuck another 2 in)
N. American A3J/A-5 Vigilante (biggest, baddest carrier aircraft ever)

My PayPal account is at the ready!!!!

Seriously, the Banshee, Canberra and Claude all look sweet and the Banshee upgrade was much appreciated. I don't know if it's enough to keep you producing but I will buy anything you design based on your first three. I think your first three are an excellent value for the buck and I would have no real problems with a $15-20 price for the biggies (assuming the same quality and level of detail.) Thanks for the fine models and for adding "Skyline" to my list of "buy as soon as available" publishers.

Bowdenja

Sep 26, 2005
Madison, MS
Nice list OldSalt............since someone has said Goshawk............ I'd like to add Mentor, Trojan and Pinto...............

Now if we are talking big, P-2V Netune and P-3V Orion would be nice...........

Then there is always the last of the gunslingers.............. F-8.... No not the Chinese wannabe! A real plane the Crusader.

A-4 Skyhawk would be nice, but I think Moshe got that in the works.

Navy brat........ and dang proud of it. Blue and Gold or Red and White, Navy, Grey and White........... heck and even a few camo's tossed in for trials.

They all good colors.

gwssms

Feb 7, 2004
Yeah, Yeah!!!! All of those would be cool!! A lot of the trainer aircraft are overlooked in this hobby.

Sumato

Sep 2, 2005
Just give me some time, fellas. I'll get a lot of those knocked out for you. I can only go so fast, though. One a month is pretty much full throttle for me. Any faster and the models would suck. It takes excruciating dedication and patience to produce a paper model, beginning to end. (designers, you can chime in on this one) I'm just glad to have folks like you guys to share my work with, and be able to talk intelligently and constructively about it.