Missabe layout progress

Kevinkrey

:eek: outstanding kevin it inspires me to keep working tword my bridge on my new layout. keep em comming:thumb: Oh and maybe you cancatch some rail action going through bridge:mrgreen:

Kevin,

That's looking much better, the bridge track makes it look 100% more realistic.

That pulpwood looks a bit too large for HO. Go with smaller twigs, but you're certianly on the right track.

Did you kitbash the pulpwood gon? It's awesome.

Here's more scale pulpwood: http://www.trainweb.org/lfnwfan/html/images/soopulp.jpg

(Ignore the terrible looking dents in the gondola though on the gon in the link)

Thanks guys. Miles, I still havent been able to model birch trees or tall grass. Im thinking I may try to build a static grass system. I bought the gondola at a show today (I posted about the show in its own thread) and it came with the load. But the load is a bad size and the ends were snapped off and not cleanly cut, so I think Ill make my own, but keep it removeable.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Glad you can post pics again Kevin! Congrats on the new acquisition fro the Twin Cities show!

Ralph

MilesWestern

Kevin, good idea with both the static grass machine and pulpwood load. I know Dr. Wayne posted an in-depth how to on how to make one of these fantastic gizmos here on this forum.

Hmm..Birch trees. I know you'll need a lot of them..let me give that some thought.

What I can think of how would be to harvest Birch twigs then drill holes and glue the armatres of "supertrees" type material to the twig trunk, then flock with leaves and paint the truck a flaky white?

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Nice progress Kevin, love the Truss Bridge and the Track. i just got mine in place with the track in it also :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Im still doing the scenery around it tho so the bridge has to re-main removable for bit longer lol

Kevinkrey

If you remove the spikes about three rails deep, you can simply slide the joiners on one rail, then after you drop the bridge in, slide the joiner back out. Did that make sense?

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
If you remove the spikes about three rails deep, you can simply slide the joiners on one rail, then after you drop the bridge in, slide the joiner back out. Did that make sense?

Ahhhhh now thats a GREAT idea Kevin, Yes that totally makes sence, imma do that right now hehehehe. Thanks!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

doctorwayne

I've left all of my bridges removeable - some to make cleaning the "water" easier, and the rest simply because there's no scenery in place. The rail joiners simply slide out of the way, then the bridge is lifted out as a unit. I have feed wires installed through the roadbed, but none have been connected as I've not yet had any electrical problems. ;):-D

Wayne

Kevinkrey

I added ground cover to the hill and I stared to paint the backdrop behind it. I also got a few more trees painted and folliaged.

Russ Bellinis

It looks great, Miles. I'd never heard of that forum before. Unfortunately, I don't dare go to another forum. I already spend way too much time surfing the net! In reading your comments about the scenery, I discovered when attending a work shop put on by Miles Hale at the NMRA convention in Anaheim this past summer that most model railroaders either model where they grew up or they model where they live now. The scenery that Miles made was very realistic for the area of Missouri where he lives, but it doesn't look anything like So. Cal. We don't realize how different the scenery is from one part of the country to another. My wife and I just got back from a vacation on the Oregon Coast. Oregon looks like an evergreen jungle! The redwood forests up near Eureka look very similar to Oregon, but then when we got to Mendocino County and on through Sonoma and Napa Counties the scenery changed completely. It changed again in the central valley and then again when we got over the ridge into the Los Angeles area. Trying to model a specific area with generic scenery always looks a "little off," and sometimes it is just hard to figure out what doesn't look right. Surprisingly, the scenery that I have most often seen "botched" is desert.

Kevinkrey

Nothing has been done lately. The basement is just a mess, and Ive been to lazy to clean it, I was going to do something this weekend, but Im not feeling real well. Ive been real busy lately and have no money to spare on trains, luckily christmas is comming up, so .....

Kevinkrey

I kicked myself in the butt and cleaned up the basement (trainroom) and have it all back into its "messy order" (I have more than I have room for), but the table is cleaned off and is able to be worked on more. Right now Im working on a loco shed. It will just sit along a wall so its not really going to fit anything, but will hide one of the 90 degree corners of the layout. Ill post some pics later.