mIRC chat rooms

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by freightcars, Aug 2, 2003.

1. freightcars

freightcars New Member

Does anyone know about any mIRC chat rooms that are model railway or the such like related? If so where and what are the settings for them?
  2. MCL_RDG

MCL_RDG Member

mIRC would be...

...a better means of chat but I don't know what experience or exposure many have to it. I'm sure if you go thru the usual servers and did the list you'd find a channel.

Perhaps you should start one and let us know where it is. It'd certainly be better than the Gauge's chat room.

For those not "in the know" mIRC- is Internet Relay Chat. Perhaps the forebearer of Instant Messenger and such type realtime keyboard to chatroom to keyboard to keyboard systems.

I've was on mIRC for about 8 years. This is for hardcore interests (as you'd find out about as you criuse the lists). This not a news service with posts- it's realtime keyboarding.

It's very stable and you never see things like, "Is the white board down"!

Hats off to you freightcars for the suggestion of mIRC- I'm gonna go out to Effnet and the others to see what's uP.

Mark :cool:

Yes, I corrected some of my typos on account of I don't type too good.
  3. TrainClown

TrainClown Member

I like MIRC too. That was where I met my wife through a mutual friend. The problem you will have is that the MIRC chat room will only be open as long as someone is in there, unless you manage to get a bot. I think the best way to try this out is to post the time you will be on MIRC and the name of the room, then who whoever was interested could meet there and we could try it out. But I don't know how you would get a bot to keep the room open. There must be a way. But no pics could be uploaded. Keep trying. :D

I like the white room and I check it out all the time. Works just fine for me. I've never seen anyone in the black room and wonder if it is ever used.
  4. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

OK, I'll bite. What's the difference between the "black room" and the "white room"? I've only been in th Gauge chat room a few times and didn't know I had more than one to go into. How do I choose one or the other? Clicking on "live chat" only seems to open the door to one room.

I guess I need a basic lesson here.:)

5. TrainClown

TrainClown Member

6. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

The black room does work, and is very stable, but the white room is preferred because for it's ease of use and piccy posting capacity. We used the black room as an alternate meeting place when the white one goes down. The white one only gets grumpy about every other week. Getting nuked is half the fun. Remember if you get nuked to come in with a new name or it will say your name is in use. If it says connection refused, it's dead for the day.