Minitrix,goes and stops

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by quezada-raul, May 27, 2002.

1. quezada-raul

quezada-raul New Member

I have a 0-6-0 n, scale loco that runes ok in forward, but in backward it suffers something like going and stoping constantly as there were breaks of electric current.
    Cleaning the motor it runes ok, but after some tours the problem appears again.
    Each time I clean it, I find the area of contact betwen the rotor and the carbons very very dirty with a carbon and greassy paste.There is a little coil and a capacitor in the motor circuit and I think the problem is there, but before desoldering and making experiments, I would like to have an expert advice.
    Is there someone with experience about that?
    Thanks a lot in advance. Raul
  2. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

Without seeing it, it sounds like there is too much grease on the gears. Clean the most of the grease out and see if it still does it. Minitrix can be noisy and some people put extra grease in them in an effort to quiet them down, however when run in one direction or the other it can throw the excess grease back on the motor. If that's not it then you got me :D , but I'm sure some other people here can come up with a answer.
  3. quezada-raul

quezada-raul New Member

Hi Tyson !, thanks a lot for answering to my question.
    In fact, I have cleaned to the maximum the motor and gears with alcohol and I have tested the loco in completely dry conditions, but the problem persists.
    I gues the greassy carbon remains are material produced by an excesive use of the sliding carbons, because the dirt is only in the area of contact of the carbons and the rotor.
    I remember to have read eons ago, that some motors need a spark supresor for not eating down the sliding carbons, and I wonder if the capacitor or the coil are involved in that business.
    Anyway, I appreciate your advice Tyson, I will continue looking for the solution., :) until the next.
  4. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

Sorry I wasn't of any help, but welcome to the Gauge anyway. Hopefully someone else here can solve the problem for you!
  5. Woodie

Woodie Active Member

similar problem

I had a similar problem with one of my locos. I'd pull it apart, and all would be fine. Run it in reverse a few times, and back to the old stop/start operation in that direction. I found it to be very worn brushes. Going one direction was fine, however, going in the oher, the brushes (what I think you are calling sliding carbon) would catch on the spindle and bend upwards. Reverse the direction and the brushes would catch and be pulled, sorta, back down in position again. This took me ages to work this out. I've now sidelined the loco, waiting for my hobby shop to get some parts (new brushes) in for it. Perhaps this is your problem???
  6. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Raul:
    How well does it work when it's not on the track? If you turn it upside down and put wires to the wheels or put wires to some part of the internal circuit, do you still get the same problems?
    (I'm just trying to eliminate the pickup contacts and things from the problem.)
    Does it pick up current through the tender? If so, look at the connection there.
  7. roryglasgow

roryglasgow Active Member

I've been having a similar problem with an N-scale Tomix Thomas the Tank Engine model. It runs fairly well when it runs forward, but the gearing jams for some reason when I run it in reverse. I've tinkered with this thing for hours and still haven't figured it out...
  8. quezada-raul

quezada-raul New Member

Dears Woodie and 60103.
    Several heads think better than just one.
    Woodie, I put in practice your idea, it semed to me the solution, but I didn´t get the smooth operation every railroader likes to get in home, so I tried the test 60103 adviced me to do, and it worked very well, but since I have 28 locos and just one had that problem, I understood that the problem wasn´t the track but it was the loco.
    It is a 0-6-0 without tender, the old german tank style, and taking in account your ideas, I thought it could be a lacking of weight because it is a little one, so I put a coin with a piece of tape over the cabin and voila! , it works.
    It seems the mechanic charges over the little machanism caused the loco to move in such a way that it loses contact with the track for instants causing the go and stop motion. Now I will look for an elegant way of adding weight to the loco without changing too much its image.
    Dears Tyson, Woodie and 60103, I thank you very much, I hope it will work OK from now on.
    Yours truly, Raul, too, too, too.
    :) :) :)
  9. quezada-raul

quezada-raul New Member

Hi roryglasgow !
    rory, I don´t know the tomix locos, but I understand you are getting the same miserable moments in the life a railroader can have.
    Try adding some little weight in the top of your loco and run it from medium to low speed. I think I am going in the good direction with my problem, I hope it will work for you.
    Anyway I will run more tests and hope it will be the solution for once and for all, I still have my doubts about the supressor circuit because there is still the carbon remains in the brushes area.
    In other side, it could be an excesive wearing of the gears in one direction due to an inadecuate lubrication.
    I will keep you informed about my results.
    Greetings Roryglasgow,:) .
  10. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Suppressor Circuit

The suppressor bits (resistor/capacitor) shouldn't cause problems with the motor. Make sure they don't get pushed down onto something to cause a short circuit.

They're there to stop interference problems with radios & televisions. They may be required where you live; I know the English put them in locos and on terminal rails.

There's an old story about the fellow whose railway was accused of causing interference on the neighbour's television, until he showed the inspector that it was clockwork.
  11. quezada-raul

quezada-raul New Member

David, thanks a lot for the explanation of the suppressor circuit function, day by day I know more about this little but wonderful universe of the model trains.
    I am sure there isn´t a short circuit because it was the first thing I checked out.
    I had never imagined that a such a little machine could cause interferences to the neighbourhood, anyway I think it is OK.
    Keep in contact friend.:)