minimum radius for body mounted couplers?

NYCNewbie

Mar 28, 2005
This has probably been asked many times, but I can't seem to find a straight answer... what is the minimum radius required to use body mounted MT couplers? I currently have 11" mainline radius and Atlas standard turnouts (I think that's equivalent to #4). I'd hate to convert all my cars to body mounted MTs only to find I can't run them on curves... but I do want to get rid of the rapidos.

jetrock

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
A lot depends on the size of your equipment, rather than how your couplers are mounted. With 11" curves you should be in good shape unless you run a lot of extra-long equipment.

sputnik

Sep 29, 2004
bluecreekrr.home.att.net
The length of cars and engines, and how you operate will be a factor. For my equipment, 11" radius was too tight, but that was with Nn3/Z couplers on GP7s and 40 foot cars, with alot of switching. N couplers should have a better chance, but to be sure, I would set up a temporary test track, and run your longest loco and a few cars with body-mounted couplers (one being the longest car you plan on running). It's so close that unless someone has particular experience with your particular combination (and can explain his/her results well enough that you get an accurate idea), it's the only way you can find out for sure.

---jps

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
I would set up a temporary test track, and run your longest loco and a few cars with body-mounted couplers (one being the longest car you plan on running).

I would recommend a worst case scenario for your test track..... a repetitive "S" curve of the minimum radius on the layout. If it passes on this test track, it won't fail on the layout