Minimum Distance?

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by tetters, Jan 3, 2008.

1. tetters

tetters Rail Spiking Fool!

Hi guys. After searching the threads regarding elevation and grades percentages for layout design, I still cannot wrap my head around the numbers. :oops:

What I am looking for is the minimum distance allowable to get a 1-2% grade up to a whopping 1/2 inch elevation. I imagine it cannot be that far of a run.
  2. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

1% is 1 inch of rise (height) in 100 inches of run (length). 2% is 2"/100".

Therefore, to go up 1/2" @ 1% requires 50 inches of run; @ 2%, it requires 25" of run.

The formula is grade% = rise/run x 100. You can solve for any one part, as long as you know the other two.

Hope that helps.

3. tetters

Big help. Thanks Andrew!
  4. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

No problem. :)

5. tetters

I just wanted to make sure I had enough room to elevate the track work behind my yard. Just to make it a tad more visible. I've got about a 2' 6" of straight run before a turnout. I'd like the elevation to occur before then. I was trying to keep it to a 2% grade at most.
  6. stuart_canada

stuart_canada Member

i find if you raise it a 1/4 inch per running foot it is a nice smooth grade, but you could go 1/2 per running foot is anot as smooth but it works
  7. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

You also need to put a bit of a curve at the top and bottom of the grade. Usually you can do it by fastening the roadbed down flat at both ends and letting the bit in between take a natural curve. To get you grade, you may have to allow a bit more length at each end.