Mini-table saw

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
You may know I've cut a lot of my own strip wood on a regular table saw. I've always wanted a mini, but the one at a famouse mini tool supplier is $300; much more than a real table saw. Well, if you look closer they have one for about $100, but the blade doesn't tilt. I made a mental note of it and figured I would get it, one year. Well, today, I was at HDC getting some cheap halogen flood lamps to use as photo floods, and saw this little baby for $30!!! yup 30 clams NALONG (that means "only" in Filipino).

Attachments

• pict0002.jpg
    pict0002.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 656

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
I opened the box to find a stirdy 1/2" thick alluminum table, I guess 5 X 7, and a 4" blade. I also apprecuiated the graphic warning not to jam my finger tips downward into the blade. I wiggled thw blade to find the bearing was tight, so it met my requirements, and exceded the quality of the old rickety saw I used in the past. As a bonus, it came with gadgets, a "diamond" blade (dunno what you use that fer:confused: ), spare brushes, tools, sanding disks, oh, and a 4" disk sander. So I grabbed it and RAN to the checkout and forced my way to the front of the line.

Attachments

• pict0001.jpg
    pict0001.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 638

Goattee

Feb 12, 2004
Walls, MS
Visit site
tilt no problam.

jon-monon; Not having a tilt blade is no problem. I saw an adapter that runs in the slots that the stock rested on and was also adjustable. It had a piano hing on the blade side and some curved brackets that were tightened with wing nuts. May be it something like it would work.

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
It's no problem at all Mr G., thanks for the tip, but I won't need to tilt the blade.

So I got 'em home and fired them up. Wow! I expected wimpy motors, but they rev high and torqy, like a dremel.

Besides no tilt, there's no fence, which isn't a prob either. With the junk saw I clamped angle iron onto the table as it was better than the fence.

If you don't have an HDC, I think they are on-line too. They carry "Speedway" power tools, which is what this is, so you may look for that local. I've had other Speedway cheap powr tools, and yes some failed, but only early in the warranty and were all replaced. Even a hammer drill and sawzall have held up 4 or 5 years. :D :D :D

I'm happy and I didn't even poke out an eye!

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
WOW!!!.....You got such a good deal:) :) :) ....I won't even tell you about the one I got today!!!:p :p :p

I like that about running to the front of the check out line.....Did you knock some little old ladies down?....You may be Robber Barron material:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Watch 'yer fingers!!!!:eek: :D :D :D:eek:

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
I like that about running to the front of the check out line.....Did you knock some little old ladies down?....You may be Robber Barron material

They were mean old ladies, vic. One of em ribbed me in the elbow trying to keep me from the front of the line!

Oh, do tell about your deal Vic! BTW: it's a deal, but it's the reg price.

Tyson, not good for vases. My wife is not too happy with you right now!

Anyway, the (carbide?) tips do not appear to be diamond, just the outer half inch of blade. .

Attachments

• pict0003.jpg
    pict0003.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 617

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Jon,

Unfortunately, that doesn't look like a diamond blade at all. Carbide tipped on a rough metal blade. Even if they were diamonds embedded in the blade, they would do no good since the blade is norrower than the teeth.

A diamond blade is used for stone, brick, cement and possibly ceramic tile. I tried cutting aluminum with one once, and it did a real lousy job.

Carbide and ceramic are not compatable elements, especially when they meet in a saw.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, a diamond blade usually has no teeth, just a few slots around the blade.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Ohhh, Homier eh? I didn't realize what HDC was, but I do know Homier. They come and set up here in Wickenburg once or twice a year for a couple of days. I don't remember them having that saw there the last time they were here. We have Harbor Freight here in the west, but I gotta say that Homier has them beat on price for essentally the same products. Harbor Freight frequently runs 50% off sales, both on-line and in their stores, and Homier still beats those prices.

Great find Jon.

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Wow, that looks great Jon,
It just so happens, :D I need some stripwood again.:thumb:

Shamus

TR-Flyer

Nov 24, 2001
SC
Visit site
So Jon:

When are you going to give us the "Consumer Reports" low down on the real performance of this little beauty? I mean, what's the use of our having you act as our guinea pig if you’re not gonna even try it out before WE buy it? So,..? How’s it working? Blow by blow descriptions, pictures, sawdust count, number of beers per piece of strip wood, we need charts, statistics, details!

Show us the way Mr. Mini-Toolman!

Ted

belg

Apr 28, 2001
New Jersey USA
Visit site
Jon I'm thinking I won't have to go out and buy a new one I'll just Email your wife and she will be glad to send me yours for cutting up the poor woman's vases. Next you'll try to tell us that SHE asked you to do it. :D I also would be interested in your review and maybe fences and jigs you've made for using it. Thanks Pat

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
OK, scapego', uh, o, I mean Tyson, I'll tell her :D :D :D

OK, guys, I'll try to get it tested soon, maybe tonight, and some photo's of it and of the old setup, in case you want to use a big saw.

OK, Belge, but if she sends it to you, you have to cut all my stripwood and Shamus's! :D :D :D

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
"I need an adjustable wrench.
What size wrench do you need?
It doesn't matter, I'm going to use it as a hammer!"
So I grabbed it and RAN to the checkout and forced my way to the front of the line.
Jon......Jon......haven't you learned the proper use of tools yet? We don't use a table saw to cut the checkout line!:D :D :D