Mini N layout ...

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by cidchase, Dec 9, 2006.

1. cidchase

cidchase Active Member

Mini N layout atop the TV cabinet. A work in progress!!:D :D

Attached Files:

2. Chessie6459

Chessie6459 Gauge Oldtimer

Cid that layout is looking good.:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  3. umtrr-author

umtrr-author Member

Another counter to the idea that "There's no space for a model railroad"...

Cool! :thumb:
  4. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

Cool!! Really looks nice!! :thumb: :thumb:
  5. Biased turkey

Biased turkey Active Member

Nice small layout cidchase
    May I just make 1 suggestion: the graveyard looks good but Imho it's too big for such a small space.
    I would reduce the graveyard space and add some industry that can be served by your railroad.
    How about a funeral parlor that receive wood and exports finished coffins.
    I might sound sarcastic, but I'm not.
  6. cidchase

cidchase Active Member

Thanx, gents! :wave: There a few more itms to add; a church or chapel, a depot (goes in the square area on the spur), a flock of sheep, a vehicle or two, some water in that mudhole, a sprinkling of snow. Oh, and a little better attempt on the trees. :D :D You know how it goes, these things just evolve, somewhat like they do in real life! You don't always know where you're goin' 'til you get there!! :) :)
  7. Biased turkey

Biased turkey Active Member

How do you make the roads cidchase ? Is it painted styrene, drywall compound, sculptamold ?
  8. cidchase

cidchase Active Member

The gravel road is just a good coat of white glue brushed between 2 lines, then liberally covered with fine gray ballast, pressed down a little, vacuum up the excess when dry. Rather experimental, but worked out for me!
  9. Papa Bear

Papa Bear Member

Looks great, cidchase! :thumb: Nicely done.
  10. Nazgul

Nazgul Active Member

There's always room for a railroad, eh?:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
    That looks G R E A T!!!.. finally it will be nice to watch what is ON the t.v.:D
  11. berraf

berraf Member

Looks cool :wave:
    And a graveyard too. Is the name of the layout Tombstone perhaps sign1
  12. retroguy1953

retroguy1953 New Member

Hi Cid.

Looking good. From the angle you are looking at the layout, one simple way to improve the track appearance is to paint the rails. I used Floquil magic markers on mine. The hobby store sells a 3 pack of these markers with assorted brown and rust colors, and you can run the tip along the rails and paint them in about 5 minutes. Then simply run a paper towel with thinner lightly over the rail tops and you will have greatly improved the rail appearance from side angles. Getting rid of the silver shine from the rail sides does wonders to make the layout more realistic.

13. darkcurves

darkcurves Member

Nice layout! I too have have a similar size layout.
  14. cidchase

cidchase Active Member

Thanx, gents! I'm going to check on those markers for the rails, good idea. I'm working on the depot building, seems it's taking forever, but my layout time is limited.
    Right now I'm waiting for the SolidWorks class to start in Nashville, thought I'd take a sec to check the forum:D