Mini Models

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Gearz, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Gearz

Gearz Member

I've had a few enquiries about mini models, 1 / 450 (+ -) to populate some of the great larger models being built. So rather than hijacking individual threads and leaving cryptic links to bits and pieces, I thought I would be easier to crank up a mini's thread. If anyone would like to Develop mini/tiny models for the community, by all means jump in, or leave a link to your build thread etc.

As a start, I've had a mini Mk 1 Viper from BSG floating about for a while ( approx 1/450-ish) Ekuth did an amazing job of building a TOS Cylon Raider ( same scale) for his Mega Galactica build

stephen.irl is test building a Mk 2 and Mk 7 Vipers, Raptor and Raider ( new BSG ) that are in development. ~ For his New Galactica model.

Links to the TOS BSG models are floating about, however, as soon as the new ones are finished, I'll make them all available as a single download.

Oh and a 1/550-ish Hammerhead from Space above and Beyond is also on the way.. :wink:

I can think of several great larger models built by members that could do with some mini's.

* A mini Dropship for the Sulaco ( Aliens)
    * Mini TAC fighters and APC's ? for the Rodger Young
    * Mini Starfurys & Thunderbolts for the B5 models

fertile ground..

ekuth ~ Can i have your permission to include your build pics of the TOS Cylon Raider, in this mini's package I'm putting together..

Please check one

* YEP :yep:
    * NOPE :nope:
  2. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

3. Kjev

Kjev Member

I'd forgotten about the TAC Fighter! That'd be a great addition. (keeping in mind I've already harassed you about a few)

The Thunder and Hawk fighters from Buck Rogers would be okay, too, although there are no large ships to go with them.

What about midget Skyfighters from "V"? The mothership would be easy: Glue two paper plates together. :mrgreen:

If you designed them like the studio model, with separate front & back halves, we could work in cylinders for the tanker version, and extra sections for the shuttle version.

Just random excited thoughts.
  4. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

:yep: - from me. Also this --> :thumb:
  5. Gearz

Gearz Member

Thanks Ekuth + MF :thumb:

K'jev lol ~ random excited thoughts ~ I'll have to sit in the seat next to you mate, one small idea can spawn a boat load of projects.. Interest thought, though. If we do a bunch of homeless mini's someone might design a mothership to go with them lol :yep:
  6. Tirick

Tirick Member

X-Wings and TIE Fighters in the 1:500 scale would be great. I made some manually from styrene in the 1:5000 scale range for some 1:10,000 scale ships I have, although 2mm in length is pretty hard for paper... I can just imagine what can be done with a whole 24 mm(for the X-wing...)!
  7. Gearz

Gearz Member

Oh yeah.. I didn't think about Star Wars, there's a zillion great subjects there to miniaturise. Gulp 1/5000 ...2mm.. now that's impressive. You'd need a magnifying glass just to see the little buggers let alone build one..

Although a mini TIE really catches my attention.. Star wars is an excellent area for mini diorama stuff.. mini AT-AT etc I wonder what the smallest styrene / foam ball is that you could get... maybe just do a set of TIE wings to fit one of those balls from a beanbag etc.. Hmmmm... Star wars on the list.
  8. Tirick

Tirick Member

More or less for the 1:5000 TIE's I made tiny 1mm styrene hexagons and affixed them to either side of a 1mm ball of modeling putty, or 'green stuff' so to speak.

All paper ball cockpit would be a feat though even scaled up to 1:500.
  9. Gearz

Gearz Member

mmm.. good thinking.. Any modelling clay / putty or even bluetac, would do for the sphere. Yep 'wings' + cockpit window/details would do the job. Just include a sphere template ( hole) for cockpit to fit through, and builders could err.. roll their own..
  10. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

If you're going to do Star Wars, then 1:350 would be cool in order to display them alongside, or in the case of Aircraft Carriers, *inside* real-life ships to either get and idea of scale or as an inside joke.

I'm wanting to build the Asteroid Base from the game X-wing Alliance, and having a few mini-ships to dock inside of it would be awesome!

For the TIEs, I've often thought a cone of paper for the front and back would do the trick for the cockpit, and the front of it could be flattened slightly with one's fingernail in order to make it round.
  11. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Sphere that size could easily be made using a 10mm bead in the appropriate color or covered with paper... I've used the technique on the Galactica. :thumb:
  12. Tirick

Tirick Member

Even a set of rings would be easy enough... take an Icosphere, give it 8 sections but only 4 rings and then set it on its side (the cockpit window essentially +Z). 3 mm is pretty little for that, but in paper it could be done.

Mm... I have way too many projects to even think about attempting this, but I'd be keen to see someone else's attempt.

1:350? That would make for some very large ships... the Neb B, one of the smallest carriers, in that scale would be 86 cm long or so... almost as big as the 3ft Galactica I've seen around the site. 1:500 would make it just a touch smaller, 60 cm, but still maybe able to place on a shelf.

:D the ISD would be 4.5 meters long...

Edits: It was bugging me so I tossed this together. Here is a screenie, no texture, more to demonstrate the design.

I can only upload .pdos smaller than 19 KB, so... uhm... if my paltry 85 vert model doesn't fit (its 35), I have difficulty imagining anything will.

I'm certain someone can take it a lot farther that I did in the 10 min I spent

Attached Files:

13. Gearz

Gearz Member

Oooow shiny! That looks like the ticket Tirick. Give an option for modelers to have a go at the sphere in paper with one of the methods above, or they could make there own. Ummm... how would one go about scaling a 1:350 TIE and X-wing. What size would an X-wing be at 1:350 ??

Plenty of great ideas there ~ gravy for the brain. Certainly mini TIE's and X-wings would be good companions for the Millennium Falcon models. 1:350 sounds good. A Hoth diorama just popped into mind as well, or maybe a mini set to go with one of the AT-AT's already out there {sigh) Well the list just grew exponentially..

I often thought it would be good if you could take all the ideas you get, and snap fingers to make them appear. But all the fun is in the in-between bit..

A new Cylon Raider is just about done, a Raptor to go for the BSG mini's.
  14. Kjev

Kjev Member

Just remembered, someone already did the "Tiny Tac," to go with the 3 foot Rodger Young. Can't remember who, but I do have the model.

15. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

That would be Gearz again... :mrgreen:

Ah, the Rodger Young... my first bout of designing/building big things insanity.
    One of these days, I'm gonna rebuild that puppy and light it.

Yeah. When I'm 95 and finished with the Galactica... :rolleyes:
  16. Tirick

Tirick Member

Hmm.. X-wing is about 12.5 m long, so to scale would be about 25 mm at 1:500, and at 1:350 would be about 35 mm give-or take.

The TIE is about 6 m long, so it is half that length at 12 and 18 mm respectively.

Easy as eating pancakes. :D

I see you mentioned Hammerheads (missed that the first read). Does someone have a Saratoga model?
  17. Kjev

Kjev Member

One of these days I'm going to build it, but I don't have enough ink at the moment.
  18. Testostrogen

Testostrogen New Member

Has anyone built a Star Destroyer?
  19. Tirick

Tirick Member

I built a template for a 1:10,000 scale one (meant for converting to a styrene build). I've seen a few full models around, but nothing to the scale we are talking about. 1.6 km at 1:500 scale is massive: 3.2 metres, somewhere around 10 ft... 1:350 would be even larger - 4.6 metres or so.

I've toyed with the idea of a 1:10,000 Executor-Class Destroyer, which would come very close to studio-scale at 1.8 metres, give or take. My wife would be unimpressed though...
  20. Gearz

Gearz Member

Hey... I did do a mini TAC fighter for ekuth's Rodger Young model.. I don't think it was ever tested so it probably languished in a forgotten DIR.. I'll see if i can dig up the masters and have a look at it.

Thanks for the Star Wars mini's scales Tirick, and yep a 1:300 ~ 1:400- ish Hammerhead is next after the BSG mini's. I developed the Saratoga, Eisenhower and a Chig fighter, available at my site here their a bit small for mini's though... unless you made a few of your 2-3mm ULTRA mini's for them..

HmmMMmm... a 3+ metre paper Star Destroyer, now there's a challenge.