mini camera rotary snow plow

Bill Pontin

About a week ago I responded to a post about making a car to hold a mini camera. When scratch building, I like most of us, could not leave well enough alone. This front end, to house the camera, looked too much like a rotary snow plow.

Attachments

• MVC-003S.JPG
    MVC-003S.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 360

Bill Pontin

Still working on it, but here it so far. Still have to make a roof for the plow crew.

Attachments

• MVC-003S.JPG
    MVC-003S.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 359

Bill Pontin

Managed to squeeze everything into my version of an "N" scale rotary snow plow.

Attachments

• MVC-001S.JPG
    MVC-001S.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 364

Bill Pontin

The car is jointed or articulated so that I can swivel the camera. Not prototypical but it works great.

Attachments

• MVC-004S.JPG
    MVC-004S.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 353

Bill Pontin

Ruined a number of styrene pieces trying to get a curved roof. Found an easy solution by sectioning a piece of 1 1/2 inch PCV pipe. I heated the .04" styrene with the wife's embossing heat gun. (shhhh, not suppose to touch her stamping stuff) When the plastic softened I then formed the curve with a section of 1" pvc.

Attachments

• MVC-005S.JPG
    MVC-005S.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 351

hswn

Now you just need a snow storm. Looks great.
Thanks for the idea of using the two pieces of pipe as a mold this will no dobt come in handy, I'm thinking caboose roof. However I'll have to use the B&D heat gun, I'm not married, I have to provide my own tools.
Brady

Bill Pontin

Tyson the last thing I will do is bend the antenna back about 45 degrees. It will still hit tunnel portals but should bend or flex to clear. The one I saw being demonstrated at a show was going through tunnels and under an overhead signal the antenna was just pushed down further. In either case, my module is the only one in the club that has several tunnels and those can be avoided by staying off my blue line.
Added a little more detail while watching TV tonight.

Attachments

• MVC-007S.JPG
    MVC-007S.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 298

rcline

Bill, I tip my hat to you!!!!! That is some very nice custom work there !
Maybe with luck, some day, I'll be that good.
Randy

capt_turk

You could always make the antenna look like the power pickup to an overhead wire. Don't know if any snowplows were electric powered, but it's a thought.

shaygetz

Bill Pontin said:
Tyson the last thing I will do is bend the antenna back about 45 degrees. It will still hit tunnel portals but should bend or flex to clear. The one I saw being demonstrated at a show was going through tunnels and under an overhead signal the antenna was just pushed down further. In either case, my module is the only one in the club that has several tunnels and those can be avoided by staying off my blue line.
Added a little more detail while watching TV tonight.

I curl mine back 'til it's just above the roofline by an inch. It still catches low scenery, with a special appetite for signal towers but it works well and doesn't affect the reception.

Gotta see that thing painted and weathered...too cool :thumb: :thumb:

MCL_RDG

Wow!

#1- WOW!

That's freakin' kewl!

#2- Thanks for helping me with how to create new roofs for my passenger cars.

Mark- an avid NYC fan!!!

Bill Pontin

Mark, when forming the curved roofs, heat the styrene in the sectioned PVC. When it starts to sag slightly press it down to form the curve with the smaller piece of PVC. Took a little practice to evenly heat the styrene, it seems to reach the softening state slowly and if you go too far with the heat it will deform. Good Luck. :)

Kim Paynter

Very nice work there Bill and quite clever how you concealed things. I like Randy also hope to one day have all these skills aswell. The more I get into this hobby the more I am amazed with the constructive ideas some people have.

And Brady you don't know what your missing by not haveing a wife to borrow tools from. Mine has a vast resource of implements from glue guns to tweezers and I must say the most useful of all was her reading glasses.

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Bill, the model looks great! :thumb: :thumb: The only drawback is if you were modeling the deep south, the southwest or some part of the country that doesn't get much snow (although as I think about it that leaves most of the the country as well as Canada. :D Won't even get into the rest of the world :D ) As I said before, great modeling and imagination,. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: