Min. radius Q. Switching from N to HO.

nolatron

Nov 17, 2004
Katy, TX
railroad.sodh.net
Hi everyone,

I searched around but really didn't find a good answer for this so I thought I'd toss it there.

I'm currently modeling in N-scale but thinking of switching to HO for my next layout. My only real concern is minimum radius for running modern diesels and long cars.

In n-scale, I tend to stick with 19" radius curves. Everything I have (6-axel diesels, superliners, 5-unit intermodal, auto racks) ran great on it.

But what's the equivalent in HO Scale?

I'm dedicating a space that's aobut 18x6 in the garage for a layout and the deciding factor is really gonna be how wide of HO turn am I gonna need to run this stuff. Of course, biggest is always better, but what's the safest min. radius you can go down to?

I was thinking maybe 24", but probably around 30".

What do you HO regular's suggest?

thanks!! :wave:

LIRRNEAL

Mar 18, 2004
Long Island
Visit site
Hello

A 19 inch radius curve in N translates into a 38 inch curve in HO. This is a luxury on most layouts. If you have 6 feet of width to work with (72 inches ), I figure on 3 inches from the centerline of the curve to each edge of the layout as a minimum safety barrier. That leaves 66 inches left or a 33 inch radius curve. Still " Broad" by John Armstrong's standards.

Allowing 2.25 inches between curve centerlines, a second line inside the first would still be 30.75 which is not bad either.

The safest minimum radius curve is dependent on what you are running, but I would keep it above 24 inches, unless its a deadicated industral switching area. Then you can shrink it to whatever the equipment used there will tolerate.

The most important thing to remember is that its your railroad, so enjoy!!:)

Neal

Will_annand

Jan 12, 2004
Huntsville, Ontario
www.muskokacomputes.com
Shaun, I went the other way.
Years ago I had an HO layout. Back then it was around the walls of a 12' x 32' attic room with the "door" in the center of the floor.

When I came to my new apartment, I had 11.5' x 6.5' to play with. To my way of thinking, not enough for HO.

I now have an "M" shaped N Scale empire to build. Things are documented on my website.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Neal,
24" radius may still be tight for something like an SD80/90MAC, and autoracks, or 89' flats. I'd recommend 30" radius as your minimum mainline radius. Industrial sidings will depend on the rolling stock serving the sidings. #8 turnouts, and wide radius curves for the long cars (70-90' ), 24" radius for 60'-70' cars, #4 turnouts, and 18" radius for some 50' cars, and "beercan" tank cars. The industrial areas would be handled by Geeps, or switchers.
Welcome to the gauge! Where, on the Island, are you located? Are you modeling NY&A? I grew up in Copiague, and spent a lot of time out in the Bridgehampton/Sagaponack area,
and on Noyack Bay.
Pete

wjstix

Nov 18, 2004
Generally for HO, 24" R is considered "convential" curves, 30"R is broad, anything 36"R or greater is "superbroad". Most everything in HO will take a 22-24" curve except for full length passenger cars with body mounted couplers, which need 30"+ curves (and maybe a few large steam engines). An HO Spectrum 2-6-6-2 will go thru a no.4 turnout and a 22" radius curve.

N scale is 55% as big as HO, so 19" radius would be equivalent to about 35" radius in HO.

LIRRNEAL

Mar 18, 2004
Long Island
Visit site
Pete

I'm in Miller Place, about 30 miles east of Copaigue, but grew up in East Farmingdale. I model the Long Island around the mid 50s. I guess I'm partial to grey and orange:thumb:

Neal