Miller Engineering and lights...

Sir_Prize

Anybody fiddled with their Expermental Kits? :confused:

I'm looking to make my own sign.
I was hoping I could make the "sign"
attach it to the electroluminisent material.
Then paint the "unwanted" areas black, like a
normal neon sign. Also, I would like to wire it
up with the LED's I'll have in the building the
sign is on.

Any thoughts, tips, bewares? :confused: :eek:

or I'm I outta luck, and must walk this path myself.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Ken,

Can't help you, but I'm interested in what others might say. I'm ready to start putting a few signs up myself and have just read about these in the ads.

FrankG

EL Sheets

I haven't used the EL sheets either, but might be able to share some info.

First, these are made by numerous manufacturers and while Miller offers a small kit, the sheets are usually available in sizes up to 24". If you know you're only going to use a few colors, it might be more economical to purchase a couple of the larger sheets. Then to power it, you can follow one of the online tutorials. From what I can tell, it's just a few Radio Shack parts required.

These are used extensively is sci-fri modeling. Especially Star Trek and Star Wars models. There are some sites and forums about sci-fi lighting. Try http://www.culttvman.com/tradesecrets.html to start.

Sir_Prize

FrankG- Der! I had a brain fart on that one. Guess I need to turn in my Sci-Fi fan badge...
That site is cool! Thanks, dude!
I'm looking at an N scale sign, not much over an inch in any direction, if at all.

EZdays- Ya, they're cool... but they ain't got one I need for the dio. I'm doing.

FrankG

I'm also N scale and now doing some lighting. Let me know how it turns out.

Right now, I'm doing a neon sign for inside of a window. I've designed a black and white sign and printed on transparency paper with my laser printer. So the white remains clear and the black becomes the light-block. As a single printout, the black isn't very opaque, so I've printed two.

I've colored the backside of the outer one with colored sharpies (write on anything, remain tranparent). Then I've sandwiched a piece of plain white paper between then. The combination of the double print out and white page makes the black window area a great light block. Then I just put a piece of clear styrene over it all for the window glazing since the printed transparency has a flat finish.

I've tested this and it looks great, but I haven't installed it yet. When I do, I'll post some photos.

FrankG

I did some more experimenting with the neon signage and I've actually found a better method. It's a slightly modified version of what I posted above. I'm going to start a new thread for it in Scratching and Batchinb because I need some advice on it.

spitfire

Ken, the experimenter's kit has the advantage of coming pre-wired for six separate pieces, ie signs once you cut it out.

I did some designs for Miller Engineering a while back (the multi-graphic series) and for those the graphics are printed on transparent, adhesive-backed material.

Subtle colours do not work well - you're better off with 100% ink coverages such as 100% Cyan + 100% Yellow = Green, 100% Magenta + 100% Yellow = Red, etc. The unlighted sign material looks pinkish, but when lit has a distinct blue glow.

They now have a power pack that allows the signs to operate without batteries - a distinct plus especially for N-scale.

One other point - the material does not give off heat so it's safe for your buildings.

Val

Sir_Prize

Spitfire- Thanks... That's right you had mentioned that a bit ago. Can't remember which though.
Was looking at covering the whole thing.
All 1/2" by 1/8" of it.
Looking at making it a John Deere sign with my friends name.
So, top half would be green with the deer in yellow and bottom yellow with friends name in green.

Frank- That tutorial over in scratch forum was great.