Millenium Falcon With Illumination

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Adecc, May 6, 2009.

1. Adecc

Adecc New Member

I've been hanging around here for a while now and I'm constantly impressed by the quality of the models that people keep coming up with,both in the designing and construction.

Thought it was about time I posted one of the models I've built,so here goes.

This is the Millenium Falcon from SF Paper Craft Gallery built to the standard instructions but with the addition of leds and fibre optics.
    It has four superbright blue leds for the engine section mounted inside a white plasticard box and the original black engine section has been replaced with transparent plastic from some packaging that I sanded to give a diffused effect.
    For the front lights I made a plastic box with three sections and mounted it just forward of centre.The left and right sections each contain a superbright white led and the centre section houses a red superbright led.
    These sections are then connected to the bows via 1mm fibre optic cable.
    The stand holds a 4 cell AA battery pack and where the wires feed through the model I reinforced the area with thin plasticard to stop the card tearing.

Now for pics.

I've got some pics of the internal structure I'll post when I've sorted them out.
  2. THE DC

THE DC Member

The DC
  3. cdwheatley

cdwheatley Member

WOW! :thumb:
  4. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

Pretty sweet

Well done
    John John
  5. davitch

davitch Member

Lighting a model is always a plus in my book! Nicely done!
  6. Adecc

Adecc New Member

Thanks for the kind words.

Here are the pics of the inside.

This is the front and rear light boxes installed and the fibre optic runs.
    The front light box is divided into three sections by a sandwich of black and white plasticard.The black is to stop the red light leaking into the white light sections.

This is a shot of the engine section.

This is everything boxed in and awaiting the top deck.

The small circuit board is to get the voltage and current correct for the leds.
  7. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

Great work

Great work Adecc!

I'm impressed with how well the engine area turned out with only four LED's. I'll definitely be borrowing some or all of your techniques when I get around to building my own Millenium.

Thanks for sharing this,

8. Adecc

Adecc New Member

Thanks Steve.

Just for reference,the four blue leds are 3mm Superbrights with the following spec.
    3.2 - 3.6 Volts
    10000mcd @ 20mA
    They were the brightest I could find at the time.
    The white leds at the front are the same spec.
    The red led is also a 3mm Superbright rated at 2.5 volts giving about 900mcd at 20mA

All are of the clear package type.

I look forward to seeing your version.
  9. julianmaurice

julianmaurice Member

Thanks Adecc, I've only just started using lighing in my own work, so seeing your wiring is especially intereting. Thank you for posting.
  10. silveroxide

silveroxide Well-Known Member

Where is the power source located and the on off switch? I followed the black and red leads but they do not seem to be attached to either the power or switch.
  11. Adecc

Adecc New Member

Well spotted on following the wiring.
    The battery pack and the switch are hidden in the stand and the wires pass through the lower section between the circuit board and the engine area and so are hidden from view.
    The internal pictures I posted show it before I'd made the small holes for the power wires.That's why they're just draped over the internal supports.
    I attached the back wall of the stand to some plasticard and that now slides in like a tray holding the 4AA pack.
    I'll try and post a couple of pics probably tomorrow.
  12. silveroxide

I assumed that is where you placed them. Eventually I will get around to the Star Wars side of the Forum. I will keep a look out on this site for lights-on ideas. I built a landing platform and you gave me some ideas how to set up the landing lights.
  13. Adecc

Adecc New Member

Here are the pics of the stand and the underside.

The black block between the battery holder and the back of the stand is the power switch.
  14. silveroxide

Suggestion; If you need to move the Ship from the base, maybe a quick disconnect might come in handy.
  15. Adecc

Adecc New Member

That's a good point.

My original intention at the planning stage was to incorporate something like a servo plug inside the base of the Falcon so that there would just be two small holes in the underside and put two pcb pins on the stand so as to make the connection when the Falcon was put in place.
    I decided against it in case the plug ever became dislodged as it would have meant opening up the Falcon to reglue it.

My other idea was to put two small metal plates or possibly staples on the underside of the Falcon with the wires attached and some wider plates on the top of the stand so as to make contact slot car style when the Falcon was placed on the stand but again wasn't too sure how well this would hold up long term if the card warped or the model moved slightly.

The above ideas might be of use to others for this or different models to give unobtrusive connection methods.

There is quite a lot of wire tucked inside the stand so the two can be separated a fair distance if necessary but as you say a quick connector could have advantages.
  16. oriod01

oriod01 Member

It's always cool to see upgrades to an already awesome model. Very cool:thumb:
  17. melvin008

melvin008 New Member

Nice work on illuminating the falcon...I always like to add a touch of illumination to my models. Did you build the circuit board yourself or build it?
  18. Adecc

Adecc New Member

I built the circuit board myself.
    It's just a positive and negative rail and the appropriate resistors to limit the current for the leds.
  19. SnakeEyesOnAPlane

SnakeEyesOnAPlane New Member

I really like the light-up engine! Terrific work. Any plans for a light-up cockpit?
  20. Adecc

Adecc New Member

I've no plans to light the cockpit on this model as it would need to be worked in as the build progressed.
    If I was building it again then lighting the cockpit area with just general illumination would be easy enough as there's plenty of space in the tunnel for an l.e.d. to be fitted.The whole inside of the tunnel and cockpit section would probably need lining with some black card or maybe insulation tape otherwise the light would possibly show through in the wrong places.
    The glazed area could be treated the same as I did with the engine with clear plastic lightly sanded to act as a diffuser otherwise it would need a few consoles and interior details made up and maybe some fibre optics for extra enhancement.