Mile-high "Illinois" Tower Vision of 1956

Discussion in 'Internet Finds' started by Bengt F, Aug 4, 2006.

1. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Attention all architecture modelers!

I just found this remarkable card model at Ralph Currell´s card model web site:
    It is a 1:1700 scale model replica of visionary architect Frank Lloyd Wright´s project in 1956 for a mile-high office tower, called The Illinois.

Had this giant golden spike ever been built, it would have stretched 5,880 feet above ground level, with 528 floors, and would have accommodated approximately 100,000 people with parking for about 15,000 cars.
    Still today, no building in the world reaches up to even half the height of the project-to-be, the Illinois.

Link to model & instruction set download:
    In Letter-size format, the model stands 40"/ 1 metre tall!

More info on American architect Frank Lloyd Wright:

Again, card modelers are indebted to Ralph Currell for providing yet another astonishing and detailed card model.

Thank you so much, Ralph!
    Bengt Fredén, Stockholm
  2. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Wow... that would be quite a building. At 40 inches tall!!!

I can see the scale proportion of the Mile High vs the CN Tower. Any chance the CN Tower is in paper around there? I was there in 2002, but I didn't buy a souvenir tower, and I really loved the CN.

But I don't want to hijack your thread. Are you planning to build it? Seems interesting. Thanks for pointing out.
  3. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Illinois Tower

No immediate plans, Gerardo,

I just wanted to draw attention to this fine new card model. I have too many other projects that are unfinished -
    The Empire State Building, for one.
    But I admit, it´s very, very tempting.

Bengt :roll:

CN Tower? What tower is that - forgive my lack of 'scyscraper knowledge' . . .
    (edited in): I couldn´t find it here:
  4. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

5. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Canadian National Tower

Thanks for enlightening me, Gerardo,

It seems that the people of Toronto not only had a world attraction added but also the highest communication antenna in the world and therefore enjoys the best reception in North America.

6. MacHine13of13

MacHine13of13 Member

'Tis a shame that the Illinois wasn't built for real...

BUT, the cops would be arresting folks for joining the "Mile High Club", easier!

Maybe, Mr. Wright had a money-making idea?

aka a better meaning of "honey------mooning"!

7. dinsour

dinsour Member

I drove by the front of Frank Loyd wrights Martin Home every day going to work. Had a chance to see the inside once , when they had a fire in it.
    Come to think of it, another of his buildings had a general alarm fire in it. It took us 3 or 4 days to put that one out.
    I have seen pictures of his llinoise building (drawings of course)and one of an electric company in Jersy.

I'd have to check but I think there several other of his creations in Buffalo.
    Just think if he built in card LOL
    -----------73 Ron
  8. Dnlgtr

Dnlgtr Member

Here is another Frank Lloyd Wright Building. His house "Falling Water"
    2 building options. full color or b/w(uncolored) 3 pages each.
    I saw this on 'This Old House' some time ago while under going or just completed restoration.
    Yes I have it. Just have to get my printer working again!