Mig-31 Firefox

Discussion in 'Dream Kits & Wish Lists' started by Stev0, Jul 2, 2006.

1. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

I cannot believe no one has asked for this aircraft. It's very design is perfect for paper modeling.

http://thinkinrussian.org/ has some 3 view drawings and even a link to the MS2004 flightsim model.

If I had some way of changing the format to .3ds I could rework it to pepakura.
  2. Probably because it's not a real plane......just a fantasy plane from the movie of the same name and its design was loosely based on the XB-70.

Now, the REAL Mig-31 (and the similar Mig-25 foxbat) are ideal subjects for paper models, with their flat angular designs...
  3. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

I was at Thule AB, Greenland when a portion of Firefox was filmed. When the aircraft was landed on the ice, they used a large model of it. Most of the ice you see was actually a stage area built above the real ice. Those scenes were filmed not far off the dock at Thule. During the dogfight scenes, when they are running through the canyon, I the crew used a helicopter and attached a camera to the nose and fly through Fox Canyon a couple of miles south of the base.

It was a fun time with Eastwood at Thule and all. He hung with the troops and was just "one of the guys" for his stay. After the movie was released, I took a call in my office from Eastwood. He said he wanted to thank the base for all their support during the filming and wanted to know who his people could contact. I passed on the information he wanted and then got a quote for the base paper.

It would definitely be a model I would build.

4. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Any idea how someone can work with .mdl files with 3Dmax or AutoCAD?

edit: I found a way. Very interesting. :)
  5. doc_harvey

doc_harvey Member

Model available...

There is a grey & a black version of the Firefox available....don' know if the website is still up or not, but I'm pretty sure I have both versions on my hard drive....

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy Guys,

I have the model of Firefox on my computer that I picked up off the web. The .lwo file in it opens in metasequioa. If anyone wants the file, it is compressed in .rar format. Email me at GEEDUBBYA@prodigy.net . It was a free download from some site, so all I remember was you cant sell the 3d model.....you might be able to use the design as a referrence though for a card model.

have a good day,

Greg aka GW
  7. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

I was checking out that LWO file and ... I think it's quality is low at best.

I have found some references which point to this fact.

Doc. At what scale are these paper Mig31's models at?
  8. Jaybats

Jaybats Member

i was able to download a Firefox cardmodel from one of Mike Hungerford's smartgroups 2 years ago... will have to look for the file...

P.S. to mods: i seem to be able to post replies intermittently...sometimes i can do it, other times i am locked out (even though i am logged in)...what is causing this?
  9. doc_harvey

doc_harvey Member

Tried to upload it to here as an attachment, but it's too big. Send me your e-mail address and I'll send ya a copy.

10. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

hmm i'm unable to send PM's ...

ps. I have noticed that some blueprints show an F-117 style design and some show smooth lines like a B1b
  11. TheWebdude

TheWebdude Just a Member

PM's are down.
  12. modelnutz7

modelnutz7 Member

Firefox Mig 31 model

Hi All,

Have tracked down the model that Jaybats mentioned earlier, you'll need to join Mike Hungerfords Papermodels II site and access the old cache at

click files on the left then models.

13. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

OK....... it might just be me. But I haven't found it yet. Maybe I need a little more instructions, or just some hand-holding:cry:

14. Chthulhu

Chthulhu Member

Almost correct: He needs to join the Papermodels (SmartGroups), not Papermodels II (Google Groups), and since the group is closed, that requires an invitation or at least an approval (by me) of a request to join. I get a *lot* of requests with no names, and those are simply deleted as probable SPAM 'bots. If anyone wishes to join the old group and access the files, be sure to use a user name and *valid* e-mail address when you put in your request, or it won't happen. :)

Mike Hungerford
  15. Migk

Migk New Member

Mig 31 Firefox

Hi Doc!, really you have the Firefox version in paper? I want a copy! could you send me a copy?
  16. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

yes i like a copy to

i not found the place to download it :(
  17. paper warrior

paper warrior Member

A while ago I saw a website with instructions on how to convert video game models to cardmodels, the guy did a few from a star wars game.If you use google and search for something along those lines you may be able to figure out how to do it.
  18. charliec

charliec Active Member

If I could find out how to contact the author of the Firefox - Darryl Lewis -
    the model would be in the Parts Bin.

19. fasteddiexx1

fasteddiexx1 New Member

Ok, I'm a little late on this post but new to the hobby. Does anyone have a copy of this model they can share? fasteddiexx1@comcast.net I have always loved this jet as a kid when the movie first came out and have built numerous versions out of Legos. And the resin ones are pretty expensive. But what better to have than a cool Card Model of one :-D
  20. Paragon

Paragon Active Member

Sorry to dredge this up, but I'd like a copy of the model too...if one of you doesn't mind.