Middle Earth RR

Discussion in 'Track Planning' started by billk, Jun 17, 2001.

1. billk

billk Active Member

Here's an idea - What if J.R.Tolkien was a model railroader? Think of the possibilities for scenery - Lava flows, dragon caves, weird rock formations. The RR could be run by gnomes, opening up all sorts of strange designs. Industries -- how about dwarven mines and foundries, etc.
    Bill K
  2. Sir_Prize

Sir_Prize Member

WhhooooHooo!!
    A kindred spirit!
    I like the idea. Gotta get one of the 3-D Programs before I can start on ideas like that or my Sci-Fi rails.
  3. roryglasgow

roryglasgow Active Member

4. Rex Pellinore

Rex Pellinore New Member

There are several model railroads which incorporate Middle Earth as a setting, or for design elements. The most famous is probably the Gondor & Rohan of C. J. Obregon. My own ATSF incorporates some elements, including dwarven mines and The King Under the Mountain (hidden staging yard.)

------------------
    Peter T. Prunka
    for
    Rex pellinore V, President
    Avalon, Tintagel & Santa Fe Rwy.
    http://www.prunka.com/basement
  5. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Hi Rory & Peter, welcome to the gauge.

Rory, I couldn't get that link to work either, perhaps something is missing.

Checked out your website Peter, very nice indeed and easy to flip through.
    Keep up the good work.

Shamus
    [​IMG]

NARA Member #24
    http://www.badger-creek.co.uk
  6. billk

billk Active Member

Peter - really like your web site - would love to see some pictures, or did I just miss them on my quick scan through? It sounds like what I had in mind when I started this thread, only for myself on a smaller scale (I don't mean N to Z, I mean number of square feet.) and maybe even more Middle Earth oriented, if that's possible.
  7. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

This reminds me of that thread we had going a couple of months ago on futuristic, or sci-fi model railroading. We got some heated debate going over that one!
    My thinking on the matter is that model railroading is just another artistic medium. If you dream it - build it!