Mid week the 4th; Going It Alone

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Good morning folks

I worked on the hardshell for the hillside.

Are you a lone wolf, or do you model with a couple of people, or belong to a club?

I am currently a lone wolf in search of others. Other than my son all my modeling is done by myself. I would like to find a group of folks around me or even a club.

chessie4155

Same here. My son and I are the only ones we know of but it would great to find others that live close by. I always thought it would be pretty neat to do a round robin kinda thing.
Every week work or operate on one anothers layouts.

shaygetz

Sadly, I'm having to go the lone wolf route for now, having to drop my membership at a club for practical reasons. I'd love to find a local layout or a closer club as I don't have the means or the room to enjoy the hobby at the level I've accumulated to this point. 40+ locomotives and 150+ cars need some stretching room. I am glad to have the N scale layout to tinker with as far as operations go for now.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
I seem to be the opposite...! Up until time constraints tightened (kids, moving. work) I belonged to three different clubs in the Ottawa area - www.hotrak.ca (modular), St Lawrence Division (local NMRA chapter), and www.ovar.ca (monthly dinner/presentation). I also operated on occasion with www.fridaynightgroup.blogspot.com.

I have cut all of these out pretty much, although I am hoping to do all of them on a very occasional basis (maybe a few times a year each). There is not a lot of modelling done per se, although there are clinics at SLD and HOTrak. The others are operations groups. The modelling is still done on your own time ;).

As you may have noticed, I really enjoy talking trains with others...! One of the most enjoyable parts of the hobby in my opinion.

Andrew

lionelfan

I do my modeling alone. My son is older now and not as interested in trains and cars as he once was. Also did the club thing, to much hassle not able to go as much as I would like, so for now I work alone.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Like most here, a loner. There are a few "traveling" (rotating meetings at each other's houses) clubs in the area that I have no idea how to contact any of them. The nearest permanent club that I know of is a good 15 to 20 miles away, besides that, I just don't feel like taking the time away from my layout to work on a community layout.

ScottyB

I'm there with lionelfan. I belonged to two different clubs but my work schedule is so unique that having off the same night every week is impossible. Wouldn't mind doing the round-robin thing though.

The clubs were great, but one thing kept bugging me. When visiting, my family would always want to see MY layout. Well, I don't have one, it's at the club... I decided I want something of my own.

Scott

Herc Driver

I'm not by myself...I got the-gauge as my club! I pick up more information here than any magazine, more encouragement here than from anywhere else, and more honest opinion than what I'd probably get face to face with another club member.

Other than myself and my boys (and an occasional suggestion from my wife and daughters) there is only one other person that lives around me that I know models Nscale. He's been really generous simply giving me extra rolling stock, passenger cars and diesels that he no longer runs. And he's always asking me how the layout is going.

Relic

Add me to the list of solitary modelers, I don't know one person in forty miles that is into trains. Or meby their just hiding from me. Glad to have "friends"(you guys) that I can "talk" to but don't touch my stuff

ratjag

I'm in an nmra(br) club but it's 60 miles away, plus an offshoot of that ,which meets every 2-3 mths but that's about 30 miles away! Except for what Herc Driver says , i suppose i'm a loner too.
dennis

C

Catt

Lone wolf (at home) and lovin it.I do belong to IronRailZ a modular/round robin type group .

A loner with my sons help. I cut a door in half and put 2 semi circles on it, 1 22" radius and the other 27" radius, just enough to run a couple of locos around and display my piggys and conatiner cars.
I bought a riverossi E8 B&O off Ebay and got it today, a lil cleaning and it works great! My daughters Bday present :thumb: She like the E series and streamliners.

Loner here also. The closest club is 30 miles away. It's a good one, but I cannot adjust my sleeping schedule to attend meetings and still get home at a reasonable time. I get up at 3:30 am, so I rarely am awake past 9:00. Waiting on retirement!!!!!

steamhead

Hey!

A "loner" too, although not alone. As Herc & Relic say, this has got to be the biggest & best club in the world...!!! Way to go.....!!!

Gus (LC&P).