Microwave Curing White Glue

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by bclemens, Feb 2, 2008.

1. bclemens

bclemens Member

Forgive me if this is common knowledge on this forum, but this is a trick I use all the time. For rapid assembly of parts with white glue, you can cure joints in a few moments and work with them immediately.
    Below is an example where I used white glue to join two parts. I used gobs of glue for illustration purposes only. :oops:
    Compare that to the joint after 2 minutes in the microwave:
    If you look carefully you'll see the glue is clear and dry.
    In actual use with reasonable amounts of glue I find that it takes only between 20 to 60 seconds to cure a joint and keep on working.
  2. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

I've never seen it. And with my wife's brand new microwave I probably never will. With a minimum amount of glue applied though it seems to grab and hold almost instantly in most cases. Thanks for the hint though!
  3. Fishcarver

Fishcarver Active Member

Son of a Biscuit Barrel!!

Now ain't that one slick technique?

4. charliec

charliec Active Member

Don't use this if the humidity is high - the card will bend and distort as the water absorbed in the card boils out. Tried it just now - bent the test pieces - current humidity in Brisbane 85%.

5. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

WOW. I never thought of that one.

Low, low humidity here in AZ, so i should be good. How does this affect ink, though? :confused:
  6. dansls1

dansls1 Member

Ekuth - it really shouldn't unless it's a water based ink. A microwave is 'tuned' specifically to excite water molecules. It will only work with water-based glues as well.