Microsoft Train Simulator

Discussion in 'Product Review Forum' started by Cannonball, Dec 14, 2006.

1. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

I am having way too much fun with this. It lets you choose your engines and routes, teaches you to drive all three types of eninges (Diesel, Steam, Electric), and has a ton of options for weather, season, time of day... etc. It will even let you decide what type of simulation you want. Passenger pickups, frieght runs, and even play Murder on the Orient Express. You can even just cruise the routes if you want. If you want to have some fun railroading and don't have space for a massive layout, this is it. Many thanks to those who recommended it to me. :thumb:

A cool night shot of a BNSF Dash 9 on the Flying Scottman's route:

Attached Files:

2. nolatron

nolatron Member

It's great sim. It's a whole lotta fun with a Rail Driver too.

Also, keep an eye on This is the sorta followup to MS Train Simulator, made by the same developers (Kujo) but with Electronic Arts this time. More UK themes stuff, but theres a good chance some good US routes will appear and the game will be available here in the states.
  3. KCS

KCS Member

Well, I found a website I think about 2 years ago that had add-ons for MTS. You could download more locomotives and rolling stock. They had just about everything from small switchers to different types of SD and GP series locomotives also you could get all kinda hoppers, box cars flat cars etc and one of them even had the option of getting a FRED. I want it but don't have a computer that can handle it.
  4. Cannonball

I found that website this morning and added a bunch of stuff. ;)
  5. nolatron

nolatron Member

6. Herc Driver

Herc Driver Active Member

Check out Canadian Pacific website...they have a free download of their Christmas Train that is worth every bit of time they spent modeling it for MS Train. You can also download most of their engines too.
  7. smullen

smullen New Member

Been looking for copy of MS Trains, but can't find it anywhere...

I picked up Railroad Tycoon 3 the other day.... Its ok, but its more about running a railroad/making money, than driving and watching trains...
  8. Cannonball

I got mine from eBay. $10.00 + shipping.
  9. Herc Driver

Herc Driver Active Member

WalMart had copies in cardboard sleeves and a few still in cd jewel cases for $9.99 US the last time I looked. Also, I found some in Target just last week.
  10. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

Trainz has basically driven Microsoft out of the train sim business (and that's no small feat!!). As far as I know, MS Train Simulator is no longer produced, but updates and thrid party add-ons are still being done.

11. chapmro

chapmro New Member

Which puzzles me to no end. I bought both, and MSTS is fun, even on an old Win2k machine, whereas Trainz is basically unplayable on a virtually new PC due to delays: the scenarios take several minutes to load, and the rendering engine can't even keep the track drawn in real time -- sometimes you see the the loco just cruising over the roadbed, or even through empty space! Scenery is likewise slow to update. I have tried various combinations of settings, but just can't get the real-time performance decent, even on a 3Ghz machine with nice video card and a GB of RAM. What am I doing wrong?
  12. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

I think that MS has decided to concentrate on the Flight Sim, where they are the (undisputed?) leader.

I think what has happened to Trainz is that they made it widely and more or less freely available - at least in terms of who can make add-ons and other components. So you get a wide range of components perhaps with less than rigourous QC that maybe tax your machine more than they should. Although this was/is a problem with MS stuff too... ;) :D

I saw a demo of Trainz at one of the local clubs, and the guy who did it ran it on a special gaming machine with all kinds of speed and memory. Looked pretty good, and definitely easy to use. I've been waiting for word on whether there will be a Mac version so I can (maybe) get a copy for myself. I definitely do not want to have to buy a special $1000+ machine to run a $30 game.

13. Cannonball

A train in space could be an interesting scenario in and of it's self. :D
  14. YmeBP

YmeBP Member

Hey not tooo lound w/ that it's worked for me quite well in the past to get a new computer approved by the home finance committee (my wife). "Hon, seeeee this game runs sooooo slow and i can't take it back because i opened it *pout*. So ... i need 800 bux for a new video card processor and ram :)" :rolleyes:
  15. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

Man!1 If I ever make it across the Commodore Barrey and get to meet you and your layout :) You better Never mention this stuff to my better half - I use this one tons of times LOL Works for Camera equipment, Trains and Computers .. oh yeah - works for car stuff too :D :D :D
  16. kb1ejw

kb1ejw New Member

Virtual railroad

If you're interested in still playing MSTS, you may also want to look into joining a Virtual Railroad. I belong to North Eastern Railroad ( There are a few others out there too I believe.
    The NER has many of their own painted engines & rolling stock, routes, activities, etc and you put in time slips as if you worked for them. They also have added files to make the trains react as though they were real (i.e pulling heavy loads vs empties, controlling slack, things like that) It keeps the older game interesting anyway :thumb: