Micro-trains conversion table ?

Biased turkey

Apr 10, 2006
Montreal, Canada Eh
Could someone please be kind enough to explain what the following numbers mean:
1015 (001 02 000)/1016 (001 02 006)

I'm looking at the conversion table for an N scale Life-like GP18 engine. I understand that 1015 and 1016 are Micro-trains couplers numbers but what about the 001 02 000 and 001 02 006 numbers ?
tia for any info.

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
If I understand correctly, the four digit numbers were the old conversion numbers and the longer eight digit numbers is the new code. I wish you the best of luck modifying a LifeLike...so far I'm 0 for 6 on my LifeLike diesels converting them to MT couplers. Seems like nothing really fits tightly enough and always requires some trimming and cutting. I'm sure it's just me and my modeling skill (lack of correct tools too maybe...) but I've found them a challange to convert.

Biased turkey

Apr 10, 2006
Montreal, Canada Eh
Thanks for the quick reply Herc Driver.
My LHS uses the old number ( 1015 for example ) on their price list.
I have 1 GP 18 only and ... no matching rolling stock ( I'm modeling European prototypes ) .
I purchased the Life Like GP18 just to compare it with the Fleischmann models ( And I have to admit that I'm very impressed with my GP 18 )
I would like to purchase a few cars to match the GP 18, like a few 40 ' boxcars, 1 hopper, 1 tank car and of course 1 caboose.

Obviously, you had some bad experiences trying to modify a Life Like with MT couplers. Life Like uses Accumate ( Atlas ) couplers, and if I buy Atlas or Intermountain I can avoid the conversion problem because both use Accumate couplers with their freight cars.

C

Catt

If your GP18 is the newer version you have the Accumate couplers already installed.If it is the older version with the plastic frame MTL makes a conversion kit to body mount the couplers.

The difference between the 1015 and the 1016 is that the 1016 has a longer shank to be used if your curves are a little on the tight side (like 9 3/4" radius) or you have snowplows and need to clear them.The only real problem with the older GP18 will be cutting off the truck mounted couplers.:)

The accumate couplers are fully compatible with the MTL units.

SeriousSam

Nov 2, 2005
San Antonio
Are the GP18 couplers from MTL body or truck mounted? All (or most) of the rolling stock uses the universal 1128 coupler. For tighter curves, use the 1129 or 1130 couplers. They are basically the same, but the higher the number, the longer the coupler.

1128 ===@

1129 =====@

1130 =======@

or something like that. I just ordered a couple of the older GP18s. Thats why I asked about the couplers. Thanx

Biased turkey

Apr 10, 2006
Montreal, Canada Eh
To Catt:
My GP18 is the newer version and ,as you mentioned, is equiped with a factory installed Accumate coupler.
I was just taking the GP8 as an example about how to use the conversion table.
Your explanation about the difference between the 1015 and 1016 coupler is interesting.

To SeriousSam:

For the old GP18 model, MTL lists both truck and body-mount couplers.
( of course, I assume you are talking about the GP18 from Life-Like )
Just to complicate the problem, the old GP18 model has 2 versions: the pre or post 1995 blomberg truck sideframes :confused:

By the way, great ASCII drawing of the couplers :thumb:

Thanks again to all the nice people who took some of their time to answer my question.