micro RA2

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Lex, May 20, 2008.

1. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Sorry nothing I just have to use this title... :mrgreen:After nothing had shown us the amazing micro C&C, I felt like posting some pictures of my RA2 models... ^^

The Aegis was built over the weekend, the 3 missile launchers are articulated :D
    This Dreadnought was built a year ago, one of the missile racks can be raised and missile removed, it was very difficult to build at this scale, so I didn't make the other one mobile...
    I remember the Typhoon Sub was my first model design, looking back a year later I think it's a bit over-complicated :D The blue version was built as a testbuild, and red version was built a week ago...
    Sea Scorpion! With movable flak gun ^^
    The models, with the pair of scissors that made them:wave:
    Just to prove it's not an over-sized pair of scissors... :mrgreen:
  2. Master-Bruce

Master-Bruce Active Member

OH MY GOD! That is just rediculous! :D

So small yet so cool! I'm surprised they didn't give you a migraine! Very nice designs and builds buddy!

Any new RA vehicle coming soon?
  3. logicman

logicman Greybeard

I'm getting a migraine just looking.

4. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Thanks! I have a Kirov Airship printed off but haven't got round to build it... My next design might be another allied navy ship, or the apocalypse tank, but that'll only be when I finish every design I currently have on hand... and finals!sign1

--Well I only had one migraine and that was when I go to sleep at 3am in holidays... I'm near-sighted anyway so making small models are no problem for me :wave:
  5. Master-Bruce

Only one migraine? Impressive! LOL Well they look great Lex.
  6. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

absolutely fantastic Lex! that is some good builds there! very clean! im not a huge fan of ra2 but seeing these in the real ill have to go over and get them.
  7. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Thanks Nothing! (no pun intended :D)

I've finally finished building my own Kirov, that proved to be the toughest model to date, with the 16-piece petals and a total length of ~10 cm at 50% size...

The deadly shadow under the sun...

"Oh for God's sake is that an Aegis?! Turn back! Turn back!!"

--Stop messing around, all of you! Otherwise I'll crush you with my almighty hand of destruction!! :D
  8. Master-Bruce

Dude! You rock! That looks awesome. ;)
  9. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

my hats off to you!i looked at this but was scared of the petal arrangement. you are definiately a master builder. i always look in awe at youre builds!!
  10. nibel

nibel Member

WOW such a tiny Kirov! And most amazing thing is you still keep so many detail!
  11. green_elite_cab

green_elite_cab Keep It Moving!

Hey, i'm trying to build that kirov, any tips? how does the nose come together?

i'm big red alert fan (dominating RA3 right now!).

I'm surprised i haven't seen any prism tanks...
  12. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Thank you for you interest! I recommend starting from the middle section and moving towards the ends, and one strip at a time. Due to laziness I haven't drawn joining strips but they should be used, guess that helps ^^ Please do post pics of your build!

As of the Prism Tanks, I did see someone designing it, but sadly the model isn't released...
  13. green_elite_cab

yeah, becaue i'm having a hell of a time trying to build the thing. I haven't done anything like this before (I'm used to plastic parts that are solid and only require some sanding to fit).

The closest thing i've done to a card model was a viking ship built in authentic clinker design, with a foam core keel. this kirov takes the cake though, should i be using heavier paper? and how would i make strips to hold the tail and nose in place? its mind bending!
  14. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Sorry if this is your first time, I should have explained better... You just cut strips of paper and glue it to the inside of the parts, leaving a bit outside so the next one can join onto the strip. It's a technique employed almost universally.
    --this model might serve an example of how strips are employed...
  15. Kjev

Kjev Member

A weekend build he says! I could work one something for a month and not get that much done, or have it look so good. Those are amazing!
  16. green_elite_cab

I didn't see anything on strips, but if i'm understanding you correctly, I should first lay all the kirov's skin strips next to eachother towards the middle, and attach them all with a strip of paper, then attacht the "chain" to the edges of the inner stuctructure one at a time?

I was almost considering building a "nose cone" or something to hold the strips together at the ends as well (this is where i'm having a hard time). I'm not sure how the tail comes together, since they doo join at such a fine point! I might be able to roll up a "tail cone" to but i don't know how that would work.

And don't worry about it being to tough on me, lol. I'm always jumping head first into things i have no clue how to do. My first plastic airplane kit was a B17G that i was not prepared for at all. Infact, even today i have problems with airplane kits (which is why as you can tell from my avatar, I moved to trains).

I almost want to try that dreadnaught, but one at a time, chris!
  17. fico86

fico86 New Member

hey why didnt i see this thread previously? Man that looks awesome! especially the dreadnought and the Kirov. U know Lex, u should put those pic up on ur site too.
  18. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

How's your build coming? I hope you're going well with the "weekend build"... :D

Thanks, also maybe I am considering a site move so I haven't updated by site in a while... Sorry for that ~
  19. green_elite_cab

Well, my primary hobby sucked me in again. Somehow, the trains were less frustrating than kirov airships to build! I still haven't gotten around to the Dreadnaught, but i hope to get both of them done before christmas. They make interesting ornaments....
  20. OhioMike

OhioMike Member

Is the Kirov still available somewhere??? Thanks