Micro Drill Bits for Fiber Optic Strands?

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by sabretooth47, Sep 6, 2006.

1. sabretooth47

sabretooth47 Member

Does anyone know where I can order micro drill bits to insert fiber optic lights into models?

About ten years ago, I purchased an AMT/ERTL Star Wars: Star Destroyer model that came with fiber optic lights and a special handheld drill with a micro bit. It came with a card to order 3 more bits, which I did so on one occasion.

Well, I finally broke the very last bit (they were extremely thin and flimsy), but now I have no idea how to order more bits or what size they were.

Any ideas? I can't seem to locate anything online and the AMT/ERTL website has nothing. Even if I can just find something comparable (like Dremel bits) I would get them, I just have no idea what size.

2. shortliner

shortliner Member

I'd get/borrow a micrometer and find the fibre strand size, and then contact MicroMark
    Shortliner(Jack)away up here in the Highlands
  3. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

Best price I have found is at www.leevalley.com. A while set of their bits costs less than one or two replacements at the hobby shop...

4. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Sears, Hobby Lobby and Radio Shack sell them.
  5. DarkWingDuck

DarkWingDuck New Member

Cleveland Twist Drills is the manufacturer of the ones we have at work, google them and you might find a distributer.

I also think I've seen them at the local hardware store, check in the welding dept. They use them to unclog welding tips.

The sizes you will be looking for will be given a gauge number rather than a fractional or decimal number. If you need help converting the sizes just ask.