Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by bill516, Jul 24, 2009.

1. bill516

bill516 Member

wall1 Can anyone tell me how to get object 2 the hemishpere to align with a face on object 1 the box, other than rotating and moving multiple times.

Is there a command that will take object 2 and align it with a selected face on object 1 without moving object 1, or alternate are there co-ordinates (where are they?) for the objects that I could use.

2. loudog49

loudog49 Member

I would also be interested if there is an easy way to do it.

I guess if I were to do it, I'd calculate the angle, rotate object 2, then do a y and z shift to align it to object 1. I'm assuming they are aligned on the x-axis. Basically 3 operations and it will be exact. Sometimes I get lazy and just eyeball it--its usually good enough for my purposes.

3. chooch.42

chooch.42 Member

Don't know diddly about Metaseq, but ... as the hemisphere seems aligned to the axes, square to x,y...could you more easily align the rect. solid to the axes x,y, then join the two, then re-align the combined object back to your intended orientation ? I'll shut up now. Bob
  4. bill516

bill516 Member

O if it were that simple. The pic I posted is just an example to show what
    I was wanting to do, Object 1 will be the main body but its not that shape, it will be more hexagonal and tapered. Object 2 will be on be on all sides and a few of them. I suppose if I said Dalek then you would know what I mean hemispheres on the side and a few of them.

5. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

Not really

I've used Meta extensively and am not aware of any single command/operation to do this. However, if I understand what you mean by "are there co-ordinates for the objects that I could use", I think you may be refering to the Local command. Using this, you can establish an origin and axes that are local to the object, and then manipulate the object using this local origin and axes.

1. Click Local in the command panel.
    2. In the Local dialog that appears, turn the Shape option off.
    3. Position and orient the local origin wherever you want
    4. Turn the shape option back on
    5. Rotate and move the object relative to the new origin.

In the Local dialog click on Property if you want to enter precise values for the position and orientation of the axes/object.
    Centering returns the local origin/axes to the center of the object.

GOTCHA - be warned that the Local operation affects the object that is currently selected in the Object panel. It does not operate on the current selection. If it seems like nothing is happening, double check that you have the correct object selected in the object panel.