Metasequoia vs Rhino

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by Alcides, Jul 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alcides

Alcides Member

Well, I'm always wanted to have a good excuse to try a 3D modeling software.

Now, I have the perfect excuse.

So, My question: I've access to Rhino and I can download Metasequoia.
    I know they are very different software in price,etc. but:

Is good to began with Metasequoia and next learn Rhino? Or I must go directly for Rhino ?

2. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

I cannot answer your question but I would say, learn them BOTH.
  3. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

For me, I use both program to create my work but I recommend you to use Rhinoceros if you can.
  4. Al hazlet

Al hazlet Member

Hey Nobi -- how do you work out what will be an unrollable surface and what will not work (because it's a 3-D shape)? Do you work that out first looking at the original reference, or do you start modeling and then modify your 3-D model to create developable surfaces?

I'm modeling a ship in Rhino for school, but it is a whole different sort of project than a papermodel (I'm modeling a ship timber by timber, to illustrate the construction sequence they used). The only papermodeling project I've tried with Rhino was Luke's landspeeder (from the first star wars movie). I see how useful the program is, but I'm still working out the way to conceive the model as I design it...
  5. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

There is a surface analysis tool in Rhino which tells you how 'curved' the surface is. Either that, or just select the surface and try to unrollit; if it will, it will, if it can't it won't!

If you are designing surfaces to unroll, just make sure they are straight lofts, or from rails where the profile curves are straight lines, or straight extrusions. This means representing more complex surfaces has to be done with approximations to the 'true' shapes, but that is what paper modelling is all about; unless you go down Gils route with moulded paper parts. These are excellent for making cowlings for example, but it is a bit more involved than just cutting out some shapes.

Tim P (wunwinglow)
  6. Gil

Gil Active Member

Learn Rhino. Rhino has it's own set of interesting issues on developable surfaces, even when they should be Ok they won't develop due to a computational constraint (like pointy ends, just avoid them). Rhino is nearly as perfect for paper modeling as one can ever wish for. Consider the time invested as an irreversible asset well spent, with Rhino that is..., -Gil

P.S. Tim, Paper cast parts now cannot be differentiated from plastic injected molded parts and they're from a renewable resource...,
  7. Apple

Is there something like Rhino available for Apple OS 10 ?
    I have Vector works, but I don't think it can do the same thing, like "flatten out" round or curved sufaces...
    Cheers, Billy
  8. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

A client of ours ran Rhino on a Mac under some kind of emulation program. I know McNeel have been quite adament that they won't be developing a Mac version, but as I understand it the Macs and PCs are becoming more and more alike, maybe there will be a workaround.

Tim P (wunwinglow)
  9. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

10. I think I just have to buy me a new Mac, since the newest one's run on Intel processors, they can run Windows just as easy as OSX 10....
    Cheers Billy
  11. Alcides

Alcides Member

Thanks for the advice

I've only now to began.

12. barry

barry Active Member

Maybe someone should point meta does not unroll anything most folk use pepakura. It does however output in .dxf. Frankly you seem to be comparing apples and oranges.

If you can afford Rhino use it.

If you can't then metsequoia is a good alternative.

13. Alcides

Alcides Member

I know I was comparing apples and oranges. They are very different products.
    My doubt was if first I have to try Metasequoia( Maybe was simpler than Rhino ) or if I have to learn Rhino directly.

14. barry

barry Active Member

3d graphics

May be you should have a look at Blender as well I can't make any comment except it will not run on my PC probably too old, like me, but it looks interesting. I can't translate technical German either unfortunately.

15. nx13688

nx13688 Member

My two cents: Pick one and stick with it. Rhino and Metasequoia use different methodologies (surface modeling vs. mesh), so there isn't a whole lot in common. Metasequoia is probably easier for a total noob to pick up, but I found Rhino easier because it has an interface and many commands similar to AutoCAD. Just decide on one and practice, practice, practice.
  16. DJPinter

DJPinter Trusted Confidant

17. zathros

zathros SENIOR Administrator

Dead Thread alert!! If ir comes out, start a new thread. None of the people in this thread except for you and I post here anymore, it has been dead for 10 years now!!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.