Metasequoia and transpaency

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by nephro, Feb 26, 2010.

1. nephro

nephro New Member

Love Metaseqoia and managing to find my way around "most" of it but......
    I have 2 textures, one is a solid bmp which works fine, the other has an irreqular edge which shows as transparent. it "almost" goes into the 3d image OK.......
    The parts that are supposed to be totally totally transparent are but the rest of the image (a window frame) which should be totally solid is about 50% transparent. have moved the alpha slider (disappears altogether at zero).
    Does anybody have any ideas or a direction to point me in?
  2. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

It sounds like the original image has transparency defined within it. You'll need to open it in your favourite graphic editor and adjust the image.

Other than that, split the object up and use two different textures - one for the transparent part, and a separate one for the frame.

3. mrln68

mrln68 New Member

It may be a driver/rendering issue. Take a look around the FAQs for Metasequoia regarding rendering of transparencies (Alpha channel). Generally there is a fix of either a specific driver that will need to be used or a setting that needs to be used for the rendering engine.

If that doesn't seem to be an issue - it might be related to the texture itself. GIF and PNG files can have transparency saved with the file - though they are either on or off. TGA files allow you to have varying levels of transparency saved with the color information for each pixel. That allows you to have textures that fade into nothingness. Other file formats have abilities to save transparency information in similiar ways - though those three are the most common that can do as much.

Keep in mind, not all image editors can handle transparency information.
  4. spaceagent-9

spaceagent-9 Right Hand Man and Confidant

hit a wall in metasequoia. apparently I didn't learn something in the basics. can someone please post a link of a basic learning video that covers all the functions? maybe also some hints for begginers? I cant seal the object or add things correctly, also I would like to duplicate parts and add them onto the object, but I cant figure out how to. please.
  5. zathros

zathros -----SENIOR---- Administrator

Probably does not apply, but in Rhino, this occurs when one object is trying to share two values. By clicking "Duplicate" under "Properties", you can create a new "Transparency" value for it. Most of these programs have similar features. :)
  6. eric_son

eric_son Member

This site should help:

You should note though that the articles on that site are geared towards using Metaseq for CGI and not for modeling. However, the basic concepts covered there should be helpful.

Another thing to note is that a lot of things have changed in the UI of Metaseq when it moved from 3.x to 4.x. So some of the instructions in that wiki might no longer be 100%.