Metaseq UV Projection?

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by D-WHALE, Sep 16, 2008.

1. D-WHALE

D-WHALE Utopia Planitia Engineer

Hi guys!
    I have only one question:

Can anybody explain me, how can I change or make a texture on a model with UV projection???

Example: I have a 3d-mesh a there are overlapping parts! I use the Boolean operations, but on the corrected parts is not the same texture like befor! how can i do this?
  2. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

Hope this helps

I'm sorry to see no one has responded to you yet. I'm way behind on my forum emails, and so only just saw your post.
    First of all, the UV mapping features of Meta are only available in the registered version, so if you're using the free version you are out of luck.

Now, with that said, the translated manual used to be available on line, but the link I have is dead. You can try searching for it and see what comes up. If you want I'll send you a copy - send me a PM with your email address (it may take me several days to respond - I've moved recently and have no Internet at home now).

I've also uploaded a quick and dirty tutorial I did last year (or the year before?). You can downloaded it here.
    The tutorial was done at the request of a specific member, and refers to a previous version of Meta, so some of the comments may not still apply, but it should help you get started.

After adjusting parts like you're doing it's quite common for the textures to shift a bit. They can be corrected by moving the UV coordinates back where they belong, but it takes practice to get used to the interface. Stick with it though, it's well worth it.

3. D-WHALE

Hi SJ!

First: i have the full version with all that UV editing stuff!

I downloaded your tutorial, but this is for simple models! i have a very complex model with many triangulated faces! but this is now not a problem! i found a way to combine the "flat" and the "UV" projection! i can not make a tutorial, because my english is not good enough to explain it all!

back to your tutorial! what means Metaseq with the "Normalize", "unify", "seperate" etc.?:confused: maybe someone can explain it (please with pics) what than happen!!!
  4. D-WHALE

i have another question! how can i move the UV-picture behind the model if I do UV-Mapping to change the place of the points?
    Any ideas?

5. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

Contact me directly

I'm not entirely clear about what you're asking.
    If you move the points in the UV editor, the portion of the image that's mapped to that face will change and you will see the change on the model.

You can email me directly if you want. That would be quicker than waiting for me to catch up on these posts. I'll send you a private message with my email.

6. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

The fact is, you can't. Move all the points instead...
  7. AttackNME

AttackNME New Member

8. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

Texture mirroring

Option one:
    If the parts are symmetric (or nearly so), make one side, texture it, then mirror the part, and the texture will be mirrored for you automatically. Often this involves splitting parts out to a separate object (select the faces, then goto to menu Selected/Move faces to new object). You can then mirror that object and your textures get mirrored too.

Option two:
    Do the mirroring in the texture. Open your graphics editor, copy the appropriate texture area, and paste a mirrored copy of it somewhere else. Whether or not this is possible, and the exact steps to do it, depend on the program you use for manipulating your texture images. In Meta you can then select the affected faces (see option 3) and drag them over to the new mirrored texture area. This technique is often used to handle writing/lettering that appears on both sides of an object.

Option three:
    Other than that, the only way I know of can be a time consuming process.
    1 - In UV edit mode, select Move and Face in the UV tools panel.
    2 - On the 3D model click (select) the faces you want to modify.
    3 - Move the faces to an open area
    4 - In the tools panel select Vert
    5 - Move the vertices one by one so they are where you want them. You can make this easier by dragging the vertex to the proper spot (where there should already be a vertex from the "other" side, and tap the right mouse button (before releasing the left button). This will "snap" the vertex you are dragging to the nearest vertex.

Hope that helps,