Metallized paper

Discussion in 'Tools of the Trade' started by Darwin, Jul 30, 2004.

1. Darwin

Darwin Member

I ran across another source for metallized (aluminized) paper. When having my afternoon snack of Pepperidge Farms cookies, I noticed that the inside liner of the package was aluminized paper. After carefully cutting open the packaging, I had an approximately letter-sized sheet of very thin, aluminized paper just perfect for laminating to cardstock. Only downside is that the paper has a waffle pattern lightly embossed into it. (Upside, perfect if one wishes to construct a political platform.) It may be possible to iron it out....however, she-who-must-be-obeyed threatens instant death if I come within 10 feet of her steam iron (she never is going to forget a slight mishap with iron-on transfers).
  2. Fishcarver

Fishcarver Active Member

Metallized Paper: Outwit SWMBO...

Buy your own Iron at a garage sale! 2 or 3 bucks, and you've got yourself an instant hot press for laminations, too!!
    El Fisho
  3. Gil

Gil Active Member

Request For Information,

Has anyone used Canford Frosted Silver paper card paper. I haven't been able to find the Letraset card in the U.S. The Canford stock seems to be very similar from the descriptions. What say all of you?

Best regards, Gil
  4. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Hi Gil, yes, I've tried the Canford papers. They laser print quite nicely, although the colour inks flaked off very easily, as usual! I got some quite nice graded tones using a black laser though. Inkjet was less successful, but I didn't spray it with acrylic varnish beforehand, so I will try that. The ink took ages to dry, and 'bobbled' into thin, wragged lines. The papers themselves are very nice, but have a definite paper texture to them. I still have yet to find anything as good as the Letraset inkjet stuff I mentioned elsewhere.

Tim P
  5. Gil

Gil Active Member

I found what would make the ideal paper but unfortunately it was embossed. It's from a company that caters to scrapbooking. The site is:

Look under satin metallic. The product was manufactured in China which might give us an idea of where to look next.

Brings up a good point though..., you can't really buy this stuff over the internet. You have to physically "see" the stuff to make the correct judgement call.

Best regards, Gil

P.S. 1.) The aluminum coated packaging does have the right look. Anyone have an idea of how to get some of this without a forklift and a flatcar?
    2.) I've bought a few sheets of the Canford and will give it a light coat of PVA sealer before inkjeting on it.
  6. Square

Square Member

where is the Letraset sold or made at?
  7. Fishcarver

Fishcarver Active Member

Canford Frosted Silver Card COLOURS (Lewis Art Supply) in Winnipeg carries the Canford Frosted Silver cardstock. It is in their on-line catalogue. It sells over the counter for $Cdn0.70 per sheet, or $17.00 per pack of 25 sheets. I have used it on the "white" version of a Dewoitine 510: it works well: make sure that if you have a "allow dry time" setting on your inkjet printer to activate this!
  8. Gil

Gil Active Member

9. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Square, I get it from my local graphic art supply shop here in Bristol, United Kingdom. They usually have to order it from Letraset. Gil has tried to find a US-based distributor, with no luck so far. If you want a pack or two sent over, let me know and I can pick some up for you. It is about £12.00 ($20) a pack of 20 sheets, A4 size. They do A3 size too, but I'll have to ask about the price on that! If you wanted trade quantities, I don't know who you would contact. I didn't get much luck with the company here in the UK!

Tim P
  10. A perfect use for metalized paper. Print aircraft models on a laser jet and then when the toner flakes off you can always just say it is "weathering" :lol: :lol: :lol:

That is assuming the aircraft where originally aluminum to start with
  11. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Ha Ha! And there's me, spending the last two evenings trying to work out how to get CorelDraw to generate random scratches on my paintwork!! The answer was right in front of me all the time!!

Nice one, Centurion, nice one....

Marvellous race, the Romans.....

Tim P
  12. Square

Square Member

Thanx 1 Low
    But I am looking at and for quantity for all of us. Over here. Gil I am making some major calls around to all my old Publishing company associates and tracking stuff down now. I should have some answers soon. I am also loooking at a possability of metalized inks for our BJ printers to. Just at this point so far I don't care for the idea of having to put in a tank of cleaner solution after every print. stuff will dry harden in the jets. from what I am understanding at this point?
  13. Gil

Gil Active Member

I've put out requests to see if there's any interest in suppplying an alternate source to Letraset. Letraset seems to have a problem listening to their customers especially here in the U.S. as they use a sales rep organization that is on the verge of being less than worthless (sorry if anyone happens to be that rep). I've also put out some feelers with friends in China (where the stuff is actually made) to see if there's a way to drum up some activity. We'll just have to keep at till someone wakes up the fact that their just might be a nascent market opportunity here.

I looked into substitute cartridges for inkjet printers some time ago and found that the ink companies don't want to have anything to do with it. Has to do with product liability and other frightening legal stuff. The reason for the investigation was to produce white ink for water slide decals. I finally mixed up my own and have had good success in producing limited runs of decals for myself and friends. Problem with making a business out of it was the number of different ink cartridges and the vast and asundry ways software drivers treat images. Now try and integrate metallized inks into inkjet print drivers and you've got yourself an interesting problem for Operations Research types not to mention the legal fees resulting from ongoing operations..., well I digress. Let's just find a reliable source of card stock that looks like aluminum when fashioned into a model and call it a day.

Best regards, Gil

P.S. Ordered 50 sheets of Red River silver metallic paper. Kodak also makes a similar paper.
  14. Square

Square Member

sounds like the guy you were talking to. was looking at you from just above his shirt collar and talking out of his 3rd button down. :shock: oh yea and with total terror on his face. Always amazes me, that in the USA that a new idea is tottally frowned upon. Unless you do it, and most importantly, become a huge success from it. Then your exactly what all americans are. Never did understand this concept.At least we are no longer teaching our children that the railroad is coming, We teach them that it is connected with the gold spike now. :roll:
  15. Its not that a new idea is frowned upon so much as businesses are totally fixated on the next quarters earnings report. Perhaps one of us is willing to do this on his own. Or our good fiends at Lighthouse Models or Digital Navy might be willing to tackle it.
  16. Gil

Gil Active Member

Hello All,

Received the shipment of Canford Frosted Silver today..., Tim's right about the paper grain showing through. It will suffice for prototype builds but isn't up to the satin mettalic mentioned earlier. An order from Red River of their silver metallic should arrive shortly. Will report on that when it arrives.

Anyone else have any luck so far?

Best regards, Gil
  17. Gil

Gil Active Member

Hello Everyone,

Received the Red River shipment today. This is Red River's "Metallic Silver .006" Item Number 1300. It's sold in 50 sheet boxes.

First take on this product is that it has the surface grain appearence of photographic paper whereas the Canford looks like cardstock that's been covered with aluminum paint. It's meant to be used with inkjet printers which is a change from the Canford Frosted Silver paper. Red River includes a cover sheet with suggested settings for the major inkjet brands which is a nice touch. All printing instructions end with "allow extra time to dry" which is fairly standard for high gloss inkjet surfaces. I applied a lite spray of matte acylic finish which actually improved the "aluminum effect". The Canford needs to be sprayed also after printing. "Gloss" acrylic sealer might not be a bad choice for sealing the Frotsted Silver (close up the grain and bring up the specular reflection a bit).

After investigations I have come to the conclusion that the Frances Meyer cardstock (without embossing of course and which is not available of course...,) is the most suitable for card modeling. I'll call them as all emails are being returned as being undeliverable.

Best regards, Gil
  18. cecil_severs

cecil_severs Member

My experience with the Red River product is that it mars pretty easily during the build process. That's ok for very meticulous builders. For me the Canford works very well since it can be pretty badly abused and still not show it. Here's a link to a review I did on the FG PT-16 a couple of years ago.

19. Gil

Gil Active Member

The FG PT-16 build was my source for obtaining the Canford (a belated thank you).

The Red River seems to be fairly robust as I've been putting both through various torture tests. It does need to be sprayed after printing as the surface coating is water soluble and degrades quickly with handling if it isn't. You have to see the Frances Meyer Satin Metallic to really appreciate the surface as regards card models. I was finally able to get an email (plus all the others that I thought hadn't been sent suddenly were sent for some obscure reason). Have to wait and see if they think it's legitimate or another piece of internet spam.

Thanks for your help...., have any other suggestions for the "Real Aluminum Card Quest" while we'er at it?

Best regards, Gil
  20. Square

Square Member

trying to get this in a small quantity is a little harder than anticipated. the A4 and stock that needs to be cut. the prices all start at .50 a sheet for the first 500 and then goes to .01 and thats just for cutting it :( .. Gil is having better luck with the metallic paper than I ... anyone live in Washington? close to the paper plant there? the bigger plants do funding with the universities for making things with paper. like bike races... maybe we could get them to come to our boards and talk to us.......
    ok maybe in 3 years :)