metal wheels

kchronister

Nov 1, 2004
Boiling Springs, PA
Are we talking raw wheelsets or entire trucks with metal wheels?

I've found the Model Power trucks with metal wheels to work nicely for about $2.00 per pair at the LHS (others seem to agree, they sell out real fast once they arrive).

For plain wheelsets, I've found most "reputable" makers turn out decent ones. I can buy a couple brands of them at the LHS for about $0.50 per axle. So on that basis 240 for $95 seems a decent (but not amazing) price. Just beware of the old Ebay shipping scam - $95 for 240 is a good price... Add $15 for shipping and it's starting to be awfully close to what you can buy them for retail -- using whatever payment method you like, without waiting, with return privileges, etc... I'd have to see the TOTAL price remain under $100 to think it compelling.

Dick Elmore

Aug 22, 2003
Central Illinois
Visit site
:thumb: Lynn...You can get 33" or 36" Proto brass wheelsets from M.B. Klein
for $3.99 per card of 12. Thats 250 for about $84, and you don't have to worry about them cheating you. They're good folks. They have a large add in RMC or you can raise them on the web at www.modeltrainstuff.com. I've
ordered from them many times before and never had a problem.

Dick
Texas Chief

yellowlynn

Jul 7, 2001
Whitehouse, Tx USA
Visit site
wheels

Thanks Dick. I looked them up, and $4 for 12 comes out real good. I'll call them tomorrow, and 24 pks should come out about the same as those 20 on ebay. I normally get real good deals on ebay, but there sure isn't much offered on wheelsets. I appreciate the help, and thanx again.

Lynn

Blake

Jul 19, 2002
Northern New Jersey
www.BlakeDTatar.com
Intermountain now makes a nice nickle plated brass wheelset with metal axle (1 wheel insulated) and the wheels are thinner than RP-25 but thicker than the Proto-87 standard. These wheels operate on commercial track and they look great. Reboxx also has the same size wheelsets with axle lengths made to fit into specific trucks. Both retail for $10 per pkg of 12. Upon adding these wheelsets I have found that the cars roll much better and because the axles have no "back & forth" play they tend to make the use of truck shims a thing of the past.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Belg - usually the metal wheels are on a plastic axel. If not, they have an insulating plastic collar around the axel to separate it electrically from the wheel itself.

Andrew

Dick Elmore

Aug 22, 2003
Central Illinois
Visit site
:thumb: Belg is correct !!! P2k, for example, has brass wheels and plastic axles and as a result, you'll find one now and then that has flaws. On the other hand, IM wheels are brass and so is the axle with a plastic collar around one end of the axle. You won't find too many of these that are flawed.
FYI, about 7 years ago, MR. did a survey and IM wheelsets won top honors, hands down, over all other brass wheelsets. They cost more but if you can afford them, they're worth the extra bucks. They retail for $78 if you buy 100 at a time. You can shop around and find them for $50 to $55 for 100.

Dick
Texas chief