Metal wheels G

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by glennfidduck, Feb 19, 2006.

1. glennfidduck

glennfidduck New Member

I need to switch to metal wheels for G Scale cars. About, What price should I be paying for those? any good places to look for them?
  2. cidchase

cidchase Active Member

3. glennfidduck

glennfidduck New Member

thanks for the advice I appreciate it. Whats a good price? Or maybe a better question about how much is average for metal wheels?
  4. Danny

Danny Member

I change all my plastic wheels to Bachmann Metal wheels, I buy a box of six sets from St Aubins for $US47.94, these will retrofit all LGB,Aristocraft, USA Trains perfectly, Metal wheels give you a lower centre of gravity, much better tracking, plus no plastic gunk on the tracks on really hot days. Plus a nice clickity-clack when running over rail joints.
  5. GeorgeHO

GeorgeHO Member

Cidchase, I imagine that the reason G gauge manufacturers dont tell you the model diameter is that with all the different scales they are using, at least 5 different scales I think, the diameters would have 5 different values depending on your equipment.
  6. Steamtom1

Steamtom1 Member

Try local train swap meets. I have picked up used metal wheels for as little as $1.50 per axle.
  7. ScottyB

ScottyB Member

Search for "metal wheels" in the G scale section on eBay. There is one seller that posts a TON of them. Gotta win the auction of course, but they seem to go for reasonable prices. One eBay tip, check the box in the left column that says "Completed listings" and click Show Items -- gives a great idea of what they usually go for.
  8. glennfidduck

glennfidduck New Member

Thanks for the advice I'll keep searching for the bargains.
  9. TinGoat

TinGoat Ignorant know it all

Get 'em on eBay

Hi Glenn,

I got my metal wheelsets on eBay too... Paid half of what I would have paid retail locally ... Even after shipping and currency conversion from USD$ to CAD$, the price was cheaper than Locally...
  10. glennfidduck

glennfidduck New Member

i just bought some off ebay thanks guys