Metal Tape Hinges - Prudenziati Sopwith Camel

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Wily, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Wily

Wily Member

Thought you'd all like to see how Metal tape can be used to make hinges for control surfaces on "simpler" kits a'la Fiddlersgreen, Prudenziati and der Kampflieger.

2. scon10

scon10 Member

That is a good idea! Do you keep the sticky side to the top and then attach the top half of the aileron to it? What is the order of actions then, do you glue the bottom half of the wing first in place and then glue the bottom half of the aileron on the wing assembly?
    I assume you need a small gap between wing and aileron, like 1/2 mm?
    You could also use this technique to attach landing gear doors in this way.
  3. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

Very clever. How do you use the Aero Gloss?
  4. Wily

Wily Member

scon10 -

You have the idea! The "metal tape" that I use has an extraordinary adhesive that allows for a few minutes of easy repositioning before adhering like paint. Additionally, the tape also seems to have a great deal of tolerance to repetitive motion and forming - as an experiment, I sandwiched the tape between two papers and found I could shape/form the paper as if it were thin metal.

cdavenport -

I use Aero gloss on balsa models. Haven't tried it on paper...yet. :)

Um...What's it called and where do you get it ?
  6. cmdr199212

cmdr199212 Member

Exactly Ringmaster! Where do you get such a thing?
  7. edi

edi Member

I like the idea, and will give it a try
  8. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

Yes, do you mean the tape that is used to seal the joints in vent ducts, or the tape that is put around the edge of glass when making lead glass panels, or some other speciallty tape? :)

Looks like a good idea and could be used in other places where some movement is needed.:yep:
  9. Wily

Wily Member

10. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

OK, that looks like the stuff used to seal joints in vent ducts. It is readily available in home improvement and hardware stores, or as suggested by asking a mechanical contractor for some. :)