Metal Shafts

S

stashu45

Hi this is my first time to the Gauge and I have a question. How can I fasten some plactic gears to a metal shaft and have them stay on? I tried 5 minute epoxy and a few other adhesives, but they all come loose after a short time. I have an old motorized track cleaning car that I would like to get back in operation after sitting in a box for twenty years. Thank you.

Ray Marinaccio

Welcome to The Gauge.
The best way to keep a gear on a shaft is to have a press fit.
I have knurled the shafts and pressed the gear on or pressed a sleeve on the shaft and redrilled the gear to press fit on the sleeve.

S

stashu45

Thank You

Thank you, Ray. My next question is how did you knurl the shaft and where did you get the sleeveing material from?

hminky

I have put a small "knurls" on shafts by knicking with side cutter pliers held at a small angle to the shaft or axle. It puts two small "bumps" that prevents the gear from turning. As you press the gear onto the shaft it will "spin" onto the "bumps". The two "bumps" at 180 degrees holds the gear quite well.

Just a thought
Harold

S

stashu45

Thank Ray, I'll have to try using a fine saw since I don't have the equipment to knurl and being retired I can't see spending the money on something like that with my budget. I'll check outthe website for the sleeves.:thumb: Stan

S

stashu45

Thanks hminky, that sounds like an idea also. I'll give that a try and see what happens. I'll post and let you know the results. Stan