Metal / Aluminum rulers

Discussion in 'Tools of the Trade' started by Card_noob, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Card_noob

Card_noob New Member

After hitting 3 different stores today I couldn't find a metal ruler that did NOT have a rather thick cork underside (which made for quite a gap between the surface and the actual ruler edge). I saw a couple which I liked but they were made of aluminum and I wondered if, aluminum being so much softer than metal, if they would be prone to getting nicked by a blade...
  2. David H

David H Member

I have both steel and aluminium. The aluminium ruler has an inset steel edge on one side. Some times I use the ally side and yes it gets nicked. Keep looking for steel!

3. lairdre

lairdre Member

When using my ruler with cork on the underside I score with the cork side up.

4. Padre

Padre Guest

I have on with cork and one that I scraped the cork off.
  5. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

I do this too. If I want to measure... *flip*. =)
  6. CK Styles

CK Styles Senior Member

You likely dont have a Menards there but may have some other type of home improvement store, but they sell their store branded ruler (TOOL SHOP) which is a 12" metal rule with no cork, very strong. It's perfect and only cosst a buck.
  7. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

The Helix Non-Slip ruler I use is aluminum with a channel down the length that helps keep your fingers away from the blade. It also has two recessed rubber strips on the bottom side that helps keep it from slipping. It does get nicked sometimes, but in the many years that I have been using it that has not been a big problem.

Attached Files:

8. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

There is another one like the one Doug posted that Gil told me about. It has a ridge handle where Doug's has a slot. Gil told me about it after I sliced the very tip off my finger using a flat ruller:eek:

I ALWAYS use it now.
  9. Jim Nunn

Jim Nunn Member

This type of ruler is generally called a “machinist rule” you can usually get them at a good ACE hardware store or Home Depot for a dollar or two. I have even seen them in the Sears tool department.

Get one that has both metric and imperial dimensions

Jim Nunn

Attached Files:

• rule.gif
      File size:
      13.3 KB
  10. doctormax

doctormax Member

a dollar for a steel rule, once again it is Rip off Republic, you won't believe how much they look for a six inch one in some shops in Ireland. ok i will tell you. 4.99 euro. I would not pay that amount so i just bought a cheap set of stainless steel knives and the handles came off easy as i expected. ok cannot measure but i have a good ruler not metal when i need to measure. when i need to cut i use the stainless steel knives straight edge. Perfect saves me all that money.
  11. papastumpy

papastumpy Member, one of the best sources for tools of the trade. Have purchased two, one 12" and one 6" surgical steel cut (SS) rules w/handle to keep put. Also has a large assortment of SS rulers for all taste. Check them out and you will be pleased, however the tools are not cheap, but they are not cheap made either, in fact, most will last a life time!:wave:
  12. silveroxide

silveroxide Well-Known Member

If measuring is not important and all you need to do is score or cut, use a metal strip. Here in the US, you can go to any Lowes or home depot, Buy the metal strips at the sheet metal aisle and with a jig saw,using the metal cutting blade cut the lengths that you need. They come in different size gauges.:wave::wave::wave:
  13. KCStephens

KCStephens Member

14. ltla9000311

ltla9000311 Member

I bought mine at the dreaded Wal-Mart for $2.49.It's steel with no cork on it either.
  15. Groovin_fusion

Groovin_fusion New Member

For those rulers that have the cork or some other non-slip material on the back side, here's an easy way to get the sticky crap off after you have removed the material....It's called Avon's Skin-So-Soft......It also keeps skeeters off ya. My girlfriend told about this one day when I approached here sheepishly asking how to get the stickey stuff
  16. smelter273

smelter273 New Member

I really hate aluminum rulers. They get nicked really easily.
  17. kirkhere

kirkhere New Member

If you use a rotary cutter, make sure to find a ruler that protects your fingers!

First time I tried it without, I found it too easy to roll up over the edge of my ruler and head for my fingers. Scared me. I bought a ruler with a raised edge and a steel insert, so I wouldn't cut into the aluminum.

Not thrilled with the cork backing, which I removed. But I love that my fingers are out of the way now.